Possible purchase of GT, need info

pro17

Ok, so Im a senior in college and I STILL havint gotten the car I always wanted - a 92 Mustang GT (there is just something about that body style....)

Right now I own a 95 Silverado (which I love) and a 1980 Mercedes 450SL (tired of fixing the damn thing). Im selling the Mercedes and going for a GT.

I was interested in the years from 91-93. I had prefered a 92, because of the HP loss in 93, and not a 91 because of interior upgrades in 92 (does that all make sense? :p ).
Nevertheless I gata get a fox, and probably will soon. The mercedes needs a little bit more work before it is even valuable on the market. I might get anywhere from 6-8 grand for it. I figure that is almost perfect for a 92 GT in pretty good condition (BTW, Im looking for a totally stock vehicle. Wheels, interior, motor... everything stock. Or at least, easy enough to get it back to stock).

Just curious if anyone could throw me more information on these cars. Maybe something I should look out for, or stay away from... :shrug:

Thanks for the help

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Hey welcome to the site Pro :beer:

Didn't the power loss in '93 come from a different way of calculating horsepower? That's what I thought I read somewhere anyway. Maybe not lol.

The major thing I would check the most is the tranny. T-5's are pretty fragile transmissions, even more fragile than my pos T-45. I would make sure the clutch feels good and the syncros (especially 2nd and 3rd) aren't too worn out.

When you start it up for the first time I would look behind and make sure no blue smoke blows out the tailpipes. That could be a sign of worn seals and engine abuse.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!:beer:

pro17

Didn't the power loss in '93 come from a different way of calculating horsepower? That's what I thought I read somewhere anyway. Maybe not lol.

The major thing I would check the most is the tranny. T-5's are pretty fragile transmissions, even more fragile than my pos T-45. I would make sure the clutch feels good and the syncros (especially 2nd and 3rd) aren't too worn out.

When you start it up for the first time I would look behind and make sure no blue smoke blows out the tailpipes. That could be a sign of worn seals and engine abuse.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!:beer:

I was looking for more info on these mustangs, and had read that emission regulations were increased in 93. The article went on to say that the mustang introduced its new design in 94 to help lower weight because of these requirements (and ultimately eliminate the 5.0 in what, 95 I think?). Im assuming the 4.6 is much lighter and gets better mpg?

Not sure if this info really is reliable or not.

What is the difference in the t-5 and t-45? (sorry, iv been accustomed to gm products ;-) - 4L60E, 4L80E, 700R, 400turbo, etc). Im learning, though. :coolman:

My first vehicle was a 1990 Ford Taurus, but always wanted either a SHO or a GT. I remember putting a "flo-pro" muffler on it and taking out the airbox to give it that grumble intake noise.

At carpoint, they put a note of problem on the engine, which says:
An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the TAB and TAD Solenoids (5.0L engines only).The cost to repair the TAB and TAD Solenoids is estimated at $100.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

Does this sound correct? Maybe there is a recall out for this?

Thanks for all your help.

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
watch out for high miles too, but you probly already know that.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Basically the T-45 is the same tranny as the T-5, but supposedly with stronger more durable parts. I have my doubts though lol.

pro17

Thanks for all your replies.

Iv sent emails to almost all of the 91-93 GTs (non convertibles) owners on Ebay for the past month just asking questions. I did notice that Cobra, but it is way out of my price range.

What are the different exterior color schemes that were offered from 91-93? What about interior.
I guess what I need is a website that can give me all of this info (exact differences throughout the years of 91-93).

pro17

Sorry to bring this old post back to the top, but does anyone know all of the two tone color options that were available?

I have seen a green/grey, blue/grey, and a red/grey so far.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
I've seen black/grey, white/grey, and purple/grey...don't know if they were factory though. And the 94-95's are a lot heavier than the Fox bodies so there was no weight saving there, plus whoever mentioned the horsepower going down in 93 because of the change in calculation was right.

silvercoffin

Established Member

92 is a good year. According to a number of Mustang Mechanics I talked to when I was looking at a 93 GT, 92 and older had better pistons which made the capable of more. Especially if your future may include a supercharger! I think it was pistons and maybe something about compression...Not sure but I know that everyone recommended 92 or older.

What I had trouble with during my search and what led to me just buying the 03, was the fact that every car I looked at had6 or 7 owners, messed up mileage and had been in an accident. I learned that car fax doesnt always work either after buying a car that checked out and later finding out that the entire speedometer cluster had been replaced and the mileage which read 96,000 was probably more like 196,000!

I know nothing about auto mechanics which didnt help the situation and was another reason the 03 Cobra seemed like a wiser choice for me... Still part of me would llove to have an older stang to mess around with:thumbsup:

sibs4972

Established Member
Originally posted by Pro
...Im assuming the 4.6 is much lighter and gets better mpg?...

Actually SN95s were a bit heavier than the Fox bodies..

I don't necessarily agree on the t5 being weaker than a t45 either. I've had Foxes and SN95s and my 93's t5 didnt give me half the problems my sn95s have... :shrug: Just my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread