Processing fee? What next??

whoa stang

Established Member
I've always enjoyed reading this forum. Ordered, or actually was put on a waiting list to order first of March. First salesman said m.s.r.p and I thought great. First salesman quit or got fired about June. A second salesman then took over and he said m.s.r.p. Car was built 8-19 and got here 8-30. Whated a long 5 months.
Finally got the call, went and got the check, test drove it (black coupe) no pull to the right, no vibration, and thought Life is great:) Went to the business office with check for 34.750 only to find out there is also a $95 "processing fee". W.T.Heck?? What for?--paperwork. I told her "you mean you're charging sticker, making a nice profit, and still have to get $95 extra:mj: She said "ALL dealers charge a fee and ours is actually a lot less then most". Anyway, paid it and got my stang. It's the principle of the thing, not the $95 that gets me! I don't pay the checker at wal-mart $5 to check my items, "processing fee". To me, it's the cost of doing business.
So my question is, Do ALL dealers do this and how much, or is this just a story for this dealer to twist the knife in my checkbook a little more?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I paid 189.00 document fee because I bought it out of state. I must of signed my named 5000 times. They told me I would have to pay it up front.

hoofbeat

Established Member
:bash: almost every dealer in greater chicago land area charges a doc. fee . i bought my car in so. bend, in. and paided 35.00 $.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Well they charge a "Doc Fee" down here in Arizona as well. However I bought my car in Tennessee and they don't charge any bogus Doc Fees or anything else beyond MSRP.

When we bought my wife's truck couple months ago... we got tapped for a Doc Fee. The older I get the grumpier I get. I can picture our next time to the dealership. When we get to the doc fee it's going to be. NO! We negotiated this deal at this price. If there is a Doc Fee YOU figure out how to pay it out of YOUR money. All I have to pay above the negotiated deal is Tax and Tags.

Street Snake .. where did you buy your car...?

Ram Dude

Established Member
My dealer had a doc fee of $139.50. And some dealers in KY are higher than that. The fee amount is printed on the purchase order doc. It has the following statement "A processing fee is not an official fee and is not required by law, but may be charged to a buyer for the handling of documents and the performing of services related to the closing of a sale. A buyer may avoid payment of the fee by handling these documents and performing these services."
So I guess if you unload the car from the carrier, clean it up, fill the gas tank, type up the docs, and get the license, you will not have to pay. What a crock!!

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
In CT they call it a "dealer conveyance fee". In other words:

STICK 'EM UP!!

:fm:

:gt:

:mj:

:cuss:

Rob03

Established Member
Most dealers here in N. VA charge a processing fee...just part of the game you learn to live with.....

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
My dealer charged 50 bucks, and was upset about that. But I guess thats pretty good compared to other dealers.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Well Dean Stallings Ford in Oak Ridge Tennessee doesn't play the DOC FEE Game..

One of the MANY things that impressed me about that dealership.

:thumbsup:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Last year I had a deal going on a 2002 Camaro SS
order. In addition to the "DOC" fee they tried
to get about $250 for advertising. Ultimately I
got them to drop the advertising fee, but almost
all chevy dealers will try to pass it off. One
told me it is 1% of base price, another tried to
get 1% of MSRP. Because they had failed to place my order after 30 days I asked for my deposit back.

Thank god, because I would have kicked my own
a$$ had I bought that car and then saw the new
Cobra and Mach 1 (on order).

Users who are viewing this thread