Programming new keys...

ZXnVS

Established Member
Have any of you bought a key blank with the security chip from Ford and tried to program it? The procedure is outlined in the owner's manual, and since it requires two programmed keys I decided I'd get a third just in case...

I followed the procedure to the letter (twice) and it won't accept the new key. What gives? Is it possible the dealer screwed up and gave me the wrong key blank? I don't know if Ford has different chips for different cars. It looks the same as the keys that came with the car...

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
Have any of you bought a key blank with the security chip from Ford and tried to program it? The procedure is outlined in the owner's manual, and since it requires two programmed keys I decided I'd get a third just in case...

I followed the procedure to the letter (twice) and it won't accept the new key. What gives? Is it possible the dealer screwed up and gave me the wrong key blank? I don't know if Ford has different chips for different cars. It looks the same as the keys that came with the car...

I have a 2001 Explorer with the same basic key setup.. I also had another key cut, but couldn't get it to program.. Well I went to the dealer, and they tried to get it to work.. NO joy.. another salesman tries it and no joy.. finally the 2nd salesman locks the doors then tries.. works like a charm now..

So.. try locking your doors when you program your 3rd key..

ZXnVS

Established Member
Re: Re: Programming new keys...

Originally posted by Blue2003Cobra
So.. try locking your doors when you program your 3rd key..

So just hit the doorlock button before starting the procedure? I'll try it...

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Programming new keys...

Originally posted by ZXnVS

So just hit the doorlock button before starting the procedure? I'll try it...

that's the only thing the salesman did different.. and it worked..

svt-tmleader

Established Member
I have programmed many, many, many, many of these. SInce you can't bring it to me, heres what to do:

1. insert 1st preprogrammed key, turn to run position. It must stay in the run position for at least 5 seconds.

2. within 5 seconds, do the same to the second preprogrammed key.

3. within 10 seconds of removing the 2nd key, insert the blank key. Leave the key in the run position for 5 seconds.

4. next step I find is the kicker. from that run position (do not remove the key) try starting the car. It should work w/out any problems

I hope this helps!

Barry

PS: just make sure you buckle the drvers seatbelt and make sure e-thing is turned off!

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Originally posted by svt-tmleader
I have programmed many, many, many, many of these. SInce you can't bring it to me, heres what to do:

1. insert 1st preprogrammed key, turn to run position. It must stay in the run position for at least 5 seconds.

2. within 5 seconds, do the same to the second preprogrammed key.

3. within 10 seconds of removing the 2nd key, insert the blank key. Leave the key in the run position for 5 seconds.

4. next step I find is the kicker. from that run position (do not remove the key) try starting the car. It should work w/out any problems

I hope this helps!

Barry

I tried that NUMEROUS times when I tried programming my 3rd key.. nothing worked till the doors were locked.. it could be since I have the doors programmed to lock when the vehicle moves (which the Cobra dosn't have) it needs them to be locked..

ZXnVS

Established Member
Thanks to you both. I'll lock the doors and then follow the other procedure, and as long as it works I'm happy!

ZXnVS

Established Member
For the record, I tried the suggestions and still no dice. I have to assume at this point that the key blank is defective. Of course, if I take it to the Ford dealer to try to get my money back, they'll no doubt insist on going through the procedure 12 more times, which means 36 more wasted cycles of the fuel pump and computer...

Rob03

Established Member
I know it does work because I watch my salesperson do mine. Of course I really wasn't paying attention :bash: so I can't help you with the particulars. She gave it to me (third key) as a bonus for being patient waiting for the car.

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread