"puh puh" sound out of tailpipe

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
When I fire my car up in the morning, I hear a very soft and irregular "puh - puh" sound. Idle is smooth. It almost sounds like the popping you hear on decelleration out a loud exhaust, but very, very subtle. It goes away after warmed up. Anything to worry about?

ptrfree

The problem cobra
Established Member
May want to run a leak down test, mine sounded like that at idle and I had burnt valves
Lee

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
ptrfree said:
May want to run a leak down test, mine sounded like that at idle and I had burnt valves
Lee

ouch - are there any other symptoms of burnt valves - because it runs great and the sound goes away after warmed up and the idle comes down

Juiced-03

Established Member
gmynko said:
Autolites. Brand new.

103's? If so, I had them and the samething happened to me. Replaced them with motorcrafts and the put-put is gone.

Autolites were the worst plugs I have tried.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
103's? If so, I had them and the samething happened to me. Replaced them with motorcrafts and the put-put is gone.

Autolites were the worst plugs I have tried.

Yeah - I think the 103s (my tuner put them in). What motorcrafts are you using?

Juiced-03

Established Member
right now I am using the stock equiv. but in the copper version. Supposed to be good for high hp application. I'll see if I can find the part number. I know they are the coldest ones available (they are the 12's I know that) by Motorcraft.

dakota318

Banned
Put the XP103s in there and you wont have any more problems. Seems like a lot of these cars HATE copper plugs... but not all.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
Follow-up.

After coming home tonite, I listened to it idle and was smooth. No occasional puh-puh - just sounds like a Borla with the occasional burble.

I'll check the plugs soon just to see how they're doin'.

Users who are viewing this thread