Putting her down for the winter, advice?

gmaine

Established Member
After installing LTs I've decided to put my '97 Cobra to bed for the winter. I live in the Chicago area and was just planning to pull the battery when the snow flies and leave her in my garage with a full tank of gas. Do I need to do anything else, e.g. gas stabilizer, periodic startups in the driveway, etc. Its hard to do but now I have a second hand Taurus that can go on a high salt diet.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Here's what I do.

Fill the gas tank up.
Put the entire vehicle up on 4 jack stands.
Once a week start it up and let it run for 20-30 minutes.
If needed, buy a gas can and put a few more gallons in if you're low after all of your startups.

When the weather is nice again and you're ready to get it out, drain and change the coolant and the oil.

Take if off of the jackstands and enjoy the spring weather.

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
?????

I have a 1994 GT that I've had in my backyard for about a year now after an accident that destroyed the car. Well both side of the car were hit from the passenger side to the back. The engine had no damage, but the rest of the car gone.

I haven't started the engine since that day a little more than a year ago. Should I try to start the engine (took the battery out) or should I change the oil or some form of maintance before I start it.

SnoracerX

Think Snow
Established Member
just check the oil and coolant put a battery in it and start it let idle for a litle while so everything in the top end gets lubed before you rev over 1k rpm

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Here is what I do when winter comes around...........keep driving I've been able to drive mine year round for years being stationed in Florida and So. Cal. But when I go on six month deployments, I take the wheels off, put her on jackstands, put some fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank (half full) and disconnect the battery. Been doing it for 8 years offf and on with no problems. Change your fluids when you start driving again.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Change your oil before you put it away AND after you get it out of storage!!! Make sure that your coolant is properly mixed and has enough anti-freeze/water mix so that you won't crack a block over the cold winter. (I'm from Chicago, and the winter does get nasty up there!) Throw her up on jackstands, get a good car cover, pull the battery, throw some sta-bil in the tank, and don't bother starting it.

If you start the car, you need to actually drive it, and get everything to operating temperature. Just letting it idle in the garage for 10 minutes does nothing. Either run it around the neighborhood for a half hour (which defeats the purpose of storing it), or just leave it alone. My father and I have stored several cars long-term this way, and have never had a problem.

*Oh, and like Snoracer said, when you fire it up after storage, let her just idle for a while before you romp on it, or rev the engine!Gotta let that oil pressure build up.
BTW- I'm jealous! I need a garage damnit!
And sing it a lullaby before you put it to :sleeping:

Last edited:

Kazmonator

Established Member
Originally posted by gmaine
After installing LTs I've decided to put my '97 Cobra to bed for the winter. I live in the Chicago area and was just planning to pull the battery when the snow flies and leave her in my garage with a full tank of gas. Do I need to do anything else, e.g. gas stabilizer, periodic startups in the driveway, etc. Its hard to do but now I have a second hand Taurus that can go on a high salt diet.
If you look on a map and see where i live you will probably feel sorry for me. Anyhow this is what we Canadians wat up North do in the wintwers with our cars..Those with low profile tires should put the car on jackstands( helps to eliminate flat spotting the tires)put in some gas line anti freeze and fuel stabilizer,make sure to get coolant checked for correct temp protection,take out the battery and store it on a wood block in a warm location.I do this every year as we have 6 months of winter up here.

Users who are viewing this thread