Q's about 96-98 cobra h/p

millhouse

Established Member
Well, my brother just picked up a cobra doner car, which I believe is a 98 (he has a 96 gt), and I had a few questions about what kind of power he should have. The list of engine mods (on the cobra) are as follows.

BBK long tube headers
Off-Road H pipe
Cold air induction kit (? type)
75mm MAF
BBK 65mm throttle body
30lb injectors
190lph fuel pump
Burned chip (from true blue performance)
Underdrive Pulleys
Aluminum drive shaft
MIL eliminators

That pretty much covers the engine mods. The engine has 13,000 miles on it.

Along with the engine, he is also able to salvage the t-45 tranny, complete front/rear suspension (bilstein shocks/struts), cross drilled rotors, svo rearend (what is it?) with 4.10's, pro-5.0, complete interior (minus air bags) and flowmaster (2.5").

So what do you think the rwhp should be?

Also, are subframe connectors able to be detached if they are welded to the chassis?

Last edited:

SNK BITN

Established Member
Those mods sound rather odd. 75mm MAF? 30lbs injectors? 190lph pump? The car came stock with the 190 pump. Not dissin the ride, just curious as to what the previous owners goals were with that car. Why do you say donor car?

That car might have hit the 300 rwhp mark depending on the tune.

millhouse

Established Member
Basically, my brother bought the car from an individual who wrecked it. It's actually a gt, but with the above mentioned items. So what's in the cards is to purchase a 99+ mustang doner car (could have flood damage, theft recover) with a good body, and to change everything over. Before the person sold it, he claimed to have had it dynoed at 320 rwhp. It still starts and runs very very well, buy you cant allways take someones word on what they say. Do you think $4500 was to much for the components mentioned above?

Last edited:

SNK BITN

Established Member
So if I understand you right, your bro bought a damaged gt with the mods that you listed above? Or did he buy a damaged cobra? So does he have the 4V DOHC motor? 320rwhp is tough to hit on a pre 99 cobra, number may be a little high but no too far off 300rwhp.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
It may hit the 300 rwhp mark. $4500 for all that seems like a good deal if it's all in good shape.

millhouse

Established Member
Yea, he bought a damaged gt with basically all cobra components, including the 4v dohc. Almost everthing was installed about a month before the accident, so it all looks to be in good shape.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
A little off topic :??: WOW the 4v Cobra's came with a 190lph pump......wow us 5.0 guys have a 110 stock........Damn you 4v guys .....J/K:thumbsup:

96vert

Established Member
Originally posted by Badasp5.0
A little off topic :??: WOW the 4v Cobra's came with a 190lph pump......wow us 5.0 guys have a 110 stock........Damn you 4v guys .....J/K:thumbsup:

I believe that 96-97's have 88 lph fuel pumps but '98 was bumped up to 190 lph

Users who are viewing this thread