Question about direct injection

rd04svt

Established Member
I'm considering buying a Flex EcoBoost and while reading up on this engine I found something that concerns me. It seems that DI engines have a tendency for carbon to build up in the intake and on the intake valve stems which can lead to maintenance issues in very few miles. I like the idea of having the extra power in a vehicle this big but if this is a common problem with DI engines I may just opt for the NA version. Any info on this available? The forum I found this thread on said the VW DI engines had the same issues. This car will be replacing my daily driver which has given me 182k miles of trouble free service and I want to make an informed decision.

Thanks,

Rodney

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
I think with any turbo'ed system you will have carbon build up. My wife has a Jetta TDI and it coked up rather quickly, so I pulled the intercooler and cleaned it. There is a code in the ecu that you change and it helps prevent that on VW's. It has around 150k on it now. You may want to wait awhile and see just what these new engines have in the way of problems. I do like the power they are getting out of the v-6.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
From what I have seen the build up issues seems to mostly be a VW/Audi problem. The TDI mentioned above probably just needed to be run hard more often to "blow the dust" out of it.

rd04svt

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't driven a Flex EB but I did drive the new SHO and liked it. I went into a BMW forum and found some mention that the 1st gen of their I-6 turbo had these issues and they redesigned the engine. I may wait a few more months before I buy one just to see how the EB holds up.

Thanks,

Rodney

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I drive a Mazdaspeed6. I bought it used in 2007 with 19k miles and I currently have nearly 120k miles on it.

It uses the same turbocharged, gasoline direct injection, spark ignition technology that the Ecoboost does. In fact, I'd bet that Ford's Ecoboost was developed with input from Mazda's experience (since Ford owned Mazda at the time).

I've never had any problem with my MS6. It still drives and accelerates like the day I bought it.

Last edited:

Teal93

I was wondering this to. I am considering buying a f150 with this engine but do not want any maintainece problems like I do with my 6.0 powerstroke.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
These engines seem pretty stout. When I'm ready for a new half ton I'm hoping it will be offered in a configuration I want.

tallguy2.3

Established Member
From what I have seen the build up issues seems to mostly be a VW/Audi problem. The TDI mentioned above probably just needed to be run hard more often to "blow the dust" out of it.

Agreed. The potential issue being solved by running it hard is the most fun solution to a car issue I've ever heard of!

PeterSmith

Re:

This new innovation in energy power sector is considered as the best alternative solution for energy crisis. In a carburetor vehicle, the fuel blend is mixed before entering the cylinder on the first stroke.

Users who are viewing this thread