Question about HE install

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
I just installed my Gords HE. On refilling the coolant and checking for leaks does the fluid constantly circulate? The only time I have noticed it circulating was at the track after it was ran hard. I let the engine run to check for leaks and refill the coolant. After having the engine come up to operating temp. and the fans come on I'd figure the coolant would be circulating by then, but It never did. Is this normal or should it be circulating constantly? Thanks.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Make sure the hoses aren't kinked. I had to use a couple hose clamps to unkink the hoses on the passanger side HE tube.

But yes the coolant should be circulating. As soon as I turn my car on, I can see the coolant circulating.

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
Hoses are all fine. Coolant just sits there. I filled it a little at a time until it was topped off at the line. Why could it not be circulating? I tryed to get all the air bubbles out.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well...a bunch of us did the Gords GB a couple of months ago and we've now installed 4 of them. Appears that the non-pullied cars take a little aggresiveness to get the IC pump going, while with the pullied cars, it comes on pretty quick. The blower just isn't spinning that fast with the stock pulley in an normal rpm range and it doesn't get that hot.

Now if you're pullied and the IC pump is not coming on....????

NY04snake

track rat
Established Member
I'm pullied, but my blower juice only circulates when under boost, doubt if you were running it, with your head under the hood, hard enough to get into the boost. Load is required in addition to RPM. just my 2cents.

- 04_snake

WDW MKR

Established Member
I don't think intercooler coolant flow has anything to do with load. The pump should kick on after the car runs for 20-30 seconds, and it should stay on. Sounds like your pump hasn't completely primed itself.

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
I have a 2.80 pulley in currently and I'm just waiting for a custom tune so I can go get it dynoed and drive it, so I can't test drive it until then and then see if it's circulating. But like I stated earlier I noticed that the intercooler fluid only circulated when the car was driven. Maybe it has to do with a difference of 03-04 Cobras. What is the proper procedure for priming the pump?

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
Is the pump a silent operating system or should you be able to hear it pumping if you put your ear in the vacinity of the pump? Maybe I should try and jump the circuit so it will come on and pump.

Last edited:

RossSVT

Established Member
I installed mine about a month ago. Turned the car on after following instructions to the "T" and did not get any circulation. I turned the car off and squeezed the IC hoses to manually "burb" the system. I heard one big gulp and refilled. Started the car and brought the car to operating temp. the pump turned on and all was well.

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
RossSVT said:
I installed mine about a month ago. Turned the car on after following instructions to the "T" and did not get any circulation. I turned the car off and squeezed the IC hoses to manually "burb" the system. I heard one big gulp and refilled. Started the car and brought the car to operating temp. the pump turned on and all was well.

Sounds like a plan I will try this when I get back home.

NY04snake

track rat
Established Member
I stand corrected, but after draining and refilling my intercooler aftermarket reservoir 3 doz or more times at the track I have yet to see any flow, with my car just idling. I fill up with ice, idle it in the staging lanes, still have ice in the tank almost to the point of staging but with frost still on my tank I stage and after the run down the track I have 100* water in the tank. In fact I pull over a grassy area in the pits, after a run down the strip, open the drain in my reservoir, and let it drain, while the car is idling and it stops draining when the tank is empty. The fact my cooler juice doesn't continue to pump out of my car, idling with the drain open was the reason I thought you might not be able to see it flow by just peeking in the tank. After installing my HE, I could tell it was flowing from datalogs showing good downstream IAT cooling and the fact that the pink water wetter, was blended into the 50/50 mix I started with by the end of my first test drive, but I peeked after topping everything off initially, at an idle and didn't see any flow with my stock reservoir. I now have pure distilled water so that and the fact that my tank has screens in it may prevent me from seeing what you guys see, sorry for the red herring.

- 04_snake

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
Ok I jumped the pump at the relay and by letting air and intercooler fluid exit from the passenger side hose on the HE I finally primed the pump. I clamped the passenger side hose and all was good. The intercooler fluid was obviously circulating then. I pulled the jumper wires and came back 5 minutes later and jumped the relay again to see if the fluid would circulate and guess what, no cirulation. The pump was going but no circulation. What is going on? Am I missing something? I squeezed the lines to burb the system but there seemed as though there was no air in the system. There was no blurp blurp sound as I squeezed the lines.

S/CCobra03

Established Member
So when you jumper the relay, you can see the fluid circulating? Then when you start the car it doesn't circulate? It this is correct then I'm guessing that the relay is bad (check it with a multimeter) if the relay is good then it almost has to be air-locked.

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
When I jumped the relay the first time and primed it the fluid circulated. When I jumped it the second time five minutes later the pump came on but the fluid did not circulate. When I start the car the pump doesn't come on, but since I've had the car I don't ever remember the pump coming on unless the car was ran hard at the track or on the road. I let the car run for about 15 minutes and the pump never came on that I can remember.

Users who are viewing this thread