Question about roush TVS

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
What kind of rwhp/rwtq can I expect with no other mods using the roush supplied calibration?

Is the roush warranty valid if installed by a ASE certified tech at his or my house, not at a shop? (the warranty clause just says ford tech or ASE tech, no more details)

Anyone know of a popped motor using this setup?

Who is the closest proven tuner to south louisiana for these new 5.0's?

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What kind of rwhp/rwtq can I expect with no other mods using the roush supplied calibration?

Is the roush warranty valid if installed by a ASE certified tech at his or my house, not at a shop? (the warranty clause just says ford tech or ASE tech, no more details)

Anyone know of a popped motor using this setup?

Who is the closest proven tuner to south louisiana for these new 5.0's?

Should be good for low 500s to the wheels on a manual trans with the roush 91 cal.

As long as you get a receipt you should not have any issues.

Don't know of anyone. The base kit is only about 7.5psi, so its very mild.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Also what part do you have to grind on the motor during the install of tvs supercharger?

The Roush and Whipple kits use a belt system designed to OE specs (first shiv is used to prevent crankshaft snout failure), so there are some fins and bosses on the front cover that have to be cut off. About 20-30min worth of work. A new front cover is less than $100 from ford, but I don't think its worth the trouble to change out, as the balancer has to come off and a bunch of other little things. I'm looking into doing a machined version.

davidhuff

Established Member
The Roush and Whipple kits use a belt system designed to OE specs (first shiv is used to prevent crankshaft snout failure), so there are some fins and bosses on the front cover that have to be cut off. About 20-30min worth of work. A new front cover is less than $100 from ford, but I don't think its worth the trouble to change out, as the balancer has to come off and a bunch of other little things. I'm looking into doing a machined version.
Thanks Justin for the great information.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Roush will warranty the blower against any defects for one year....motor is on your own

You may very well be correct. However, below is the roush warranty statement regarding motors, etc. I will be contacting them for clarification but it reads as though if installed by a ford or ASE tech, motor is warrantied. Infuses it could be warrantied against failure due to blower failure....

> The Warranty Period for the 420112, 420114, 420116, & 403309 ROUSHcharger® Black Kit, and 420113, 420115, & 420117, ROUSHcharger® Chrome Kit & 403310 ROUSHcharger® Polished Kit is as follows:
> a) 3 years or 36,000 miles from the vehicle’s original in-service date as determined by Ford dealer OASIS (On-Line Service Information System) report, or
> b) On vehicles where the original manufacturer’s 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty has expired, the warranty on the ROUSHcharger® Kit(s) is 12 months or 12,000 miles on ROUSHcharger® Kit(s) components only.

> When a ROUSHcharger® Kit(s) is correctly and completely installed by a certified Ford automotive technician or automotive service technician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) on an eligible, legally registered and licensed vehicle, we will cover defects in ROUSH® materials and workmanship during the Warranty Period, as solely determined by us.
> Below are those vehicle components covered and not covered under this warranty:
> • ENGINE COMPONENTS
> COVERED: Pistons, piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft and bearings, connecting rods and bearings, camshafts and bearings, timing chain and gears, intake/exhaust valves and seals, valve springs, oil pump, push rods, rocker arms, rocker arm shafts, and lifters. If a failure of any of the above parts damages either the engine block or cylinder heads, a remanufactured long block assembly will be provided up to the maximum coverage of $7500.00.
> NON-COVERED: Those engine components specifically not listed including, but not limited to, polished finish on blower, parts, filters, etc., that are required to be replaced as a part of a normal vehicle maintenance schedule are not covered under this warranty.
> • TRANSMISSION COMPONENTS
> COVERED: Planetaries, shaft(s), sprag(s), bearings, shift rail(s), torque converter, fork(s), and synchronizers.
> NON-COVERED: Failure of related parts external to the transmission that cause a transmission claim including, but not limited to, transmission coolers, levers, controls, etc., void coverage
> under this warranty.
> REAR AXLE COMPONENTS
> COVERED: Rear axle, ring gear, drive pinion, pinion shaft, side gears, bearings, bearing cap, washers, slinger, axle shaft, housing and housing cover.
> When you present us with a valid, properly documented warranty claim during the Warranty Period, we will replace the defective component(s) covered by this warranty or, at our option and sole discretion, refund the purchase price you paid for the ROUSHcharger® Kit(s). We reserve the right to improve or modify the ROUSHcharger® Kit(s) without assuming any obligation to update or replace any previously manufactured or sold ROUSHcharger® Kit(s).

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Exactly lol. Is why I'm asking. Got an ASE certified buddy but need to know if he gotta do it at his bosses shop or if he can do it at my house lol

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Most people won't be satisfied long with a low boost set up.
Most people will up the boost very quickly then there goes the warratny.

kevinp

Established Member
Most people won't be satisfied long with a low boost set up.
Most people will up the boost very quickly then there goes the warratny.

Actually the low boost setup is pretty nice with an aftermarket tune, thats all Im using and I'm more than happy with it. I have a feeling the Roush tune is very conservative, thats why they offer the warranty. Plus they only warranty a manual trans car, same with FRPP/whipple.

Roush 'tuner' kit for an auto car is 90 day warranty, blower kit parts only, at least thats how I read it.

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Actually the low boost setup is pretty nice with an aftermarket tune, thats all Im using and I'm more than happy with it. I have a feeling the Roush tune is very conservative, thats why they offer the warranty. Plus they only warranty a manual trans car, same with FRPP/whipple.

Roush 'tuner' kit for an auto car is 90 day warranty, blower kit parts only, at least thats how I read it.

I'm probably the worst guy to talk to about keeping a warranty in force.
First I bought the Cobra and was amazed by the power.
Got used to it then added an upper pulley,then a lower pulley, then a ported blower, then nitrous, then a VMP TVS 2.3, then a solid rear then tubular K ...............It's never ending.
All the while Justin retuned it every to make great power and stock like drivability

kevinp

Established Member
I'm probably the worst guy to talk to about keeping a warranty in force.
First I bought the Cobra and was amazed by the power.
Got used to it then added an upper pulley,then a lower pulley, then a ported blower, then nitrous, then a VMP TVS 2.3, then a solid rear then tubular K ...............It's never ending.
All the while Justin retuned it every to make great power and stock like drivability

I'm no better, I put a procharger on 2 brand new LS1 f-bodies and one new C5 corvette :) This car had the blower on it at 1200 miles, I waited a bit because I wasnt sure which supercharger to go with. I'm very happy with the TVS/VMP tune decision.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Kevin, according to your sig, the blower is your only mod, this correct?

Usually my stangs are second vehicles. This one is my daily diver though so I want to keep warranty, and very good nature if it like it is. But that 500+rwhp With warranty is so tempting lol! My 03 cobra was on dyno before 500 miles, pulleyed for 800 etc etc so I know how that game goes lol

kevinp

Established Member
Kevin, according to your sig, the blower is your only mod, this correct?

Usually my stangs are second vehicles. This one is my daily diver though so I want to keep warranty, and very good nature if it like it is. But that 500+rwhp With warranty is so tempting lol! My 03 cobra was on dyno before 500 miles, pulleyed for 800 etc etc so I know how that game goes lol

Only mods were the TVS blower, 265/18 MT DRs on stock 18" wheels, roush rear springs (keep the back from squatting hard on a launch), removed the jack/spare and GT500 mufflers.

Weather was very good for this area at -500 DA.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oozDf33-54&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT Roush/TVS 2.3 Supercharger[/nomedia]

I have an auto and installed it myself so no warranty for me, if I had a manual trans I would probably use Roush's tune, pay someone to install it and enjoy the car under warranty. This is my daily driver as well, the OE quality of the Roush was one of the factors in my decision, I wouldnt be scared to drive this car cross country and race it. Just about any nitrous setup or supercharger is capable of hurting the engine, all depends how greedy you get.

Even with the stock 90mm pulley and VMP tune I am not wanting for power, this thing just kicks ass for a daily driver and its fast enough to keep me entertained. But I'm wanting a little more now that its hot out so will be swapping to an 82mm pulley :)

Users who are viewing this thread