Question regarding swirls....

Griffin

Established Member
I finally detailed my car with the new PC and supplies I ordered. I used SSR1 followed by Poorboys polish then wax. I used the white pad when applying the SSR1 and polished and used the blue pad for the wax.

My question is this~ I still have some swirls in the paint. Should I use the SSR2.5 with a white pad now? If so, I would take it I would have to re-polish and re-wax, correct?

Thanks,

Griffin

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
SSR 2.5 took most, if not all my swirls out with the cutting pad (yellow pad). Did you get your stuff from SMP? Yes, you should re-polish and wax again for best results and more protection.

Griffin

Established Member
Yeah, I got my stuff from Scott. I got a orange pad, which I was told is VERY aggressive. I will use the SSR2.5 with a white pad and see how that works for me.

Thanks man,

Griffin

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
No problem, that should work fine. If swirls are still there though try the yellow/orange pad.

Griffin

Established Member
Great, another 5 hours in the 160 degree heat. :bash: :thumbsup:

Thanks guys :rockon:

Scott P

Established Member
The Yellow pad is more aggressive than the Orange pad. I don't think I would have called it "very" aggressive. When used with SR2.5, the Orange pad will leavea small amount of hazing behind. You would just follow up with SSR2.5 on a polishing pad to get that hazing out. A quick touch up with SSR1 on a polishing pad will be the finishing touch.

Griffin

Established Member
Update-

Well, I did what you said and used the ornage pad with the SSR2.5, then the SSR1 than polish and finally waxed her again.

Water spots and scratches are still visable when looking at the paint at an angle.

What am I doing wrong? :(

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
How old is the paint? Does it sit outside when not driven?

Not an expert, but you might need to cut down the clear a little with something more aggressive.

Last edited:

Griffin

Established Member
It's an 03 Cobra, so it is fairly new. You can't tell unless you look at it an an angle. Other than that, it looks perfect. I could take pics and it would look amazing, but I know there are some swirls/water spots there.

And yes, it sits outside...

csumt76

Established Member
Griffin said:
It's an 03 Cobra, so it is fairly new. You can't tell unless you look at it an an angle. Other than that, it looks perfect. I could take pics and it would look amazing, but I know there are some swirls/water spots there.

And yes, it sits outside...

I may be able to hook you up with a guy that can check the water spots for you. He is a detailer at MB of Ft Lauderdale. I would tell you how he gets them out but you can shoot me a PM if you want. Trying to avoid a bunch of flame posts.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Griffin said:
Update-

Well, I did what you said and used the ornage pad with the SSR2.5, then the SSR1 than polish and finally waxed her again.

Water spots and scratches are still visable when looking at the paint at an angle.

What am I doing wrong? :(

My guess is that you are not working the SSR2.5 long enough. What speed do you have the PC set at? You can really work that stuff with the PC and not worry about burning your paint (unlike a rotary buffer). I know it is time consuming, but I would keep working the 2.5 until the spots are gone.

spree

Established Member
Water spots would be tough to remove with a PC and SSR2.5. I haven't been able to completely as of yet. It helped, but they're still there.

Griffin

Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys. I will try the SSR2.5 a little longer each panel and see how that works out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread