Questions for current Cobra Owners...

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
I'm proud to say that our coveted '03 Cobra 'broke my cherry' :) Soon, I will be the proud owner of my first Cobra. Not only will this be my first Cobra, this is the first time I've ever ordered a vehicle and I'm not familiar with the process. I'm looking for a little insight into what I can expect. Don't get me wrong; I'm getting some information from my salesman but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask the question on this forum. After all, from what I can see, we (most everybody on this forum) seems to know/have access to more information that most dealers...

Here's the scoop...

~March 9th
I ordered a mineral gray 'vert. According to my SVT salesman, the order was 'firmed up' with SVT shortly after (~March 11th). I was told that this was the first 'custom' order placed from this particular dealer and that mine would be the first car delivered to the dealer. First question; is there any truth to this?

~April 15th
I received a call from my salesman. I was told that my car has been scheduled to be built on the 'Week of' May 27th. Last 4 #'s of the vin are 1058. Second question; is this considered my build number?

Third question -
I spoke with my salesman tonight to find out if SVT has contacted him about building my vehicle... I was told that he hasn't been contacted by SVT. He said that usually, SVT contacts the dealer ~1 week before the car is actually built. Has anybody else received a call 1 week before their car was built? So far, I haven't read any posts on this forum or BlueOvalNews.com where anybody claims that they got this type of call...

Finally... Last question...
Under 'normal' circumstances, once a car is built, approximately how log does it take before the car would be delivered to the east coast (Pittsburgh PA)?

If you can't tell already, I'm so damn excited about this. It's seems like it's been an eternity since I placed my order...
At first, I only drove my wife crazy with my obsession with the '03 Cobra. Now, I'm starting to go crazy waiting for it arrive :D

Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited:

SonicMike

Established Member
Stangfan,
It looks like we will be getting our cars around the same day. My VIN is 1057. Mine is a Sonic Blue coupe ordered on Feb 11th. Also to built the week of May 27. It's going to a Cleveland dealership, but I live closer to Youngstown, OH.
I was also told that my car was first on their list. As for delivery time, He said they usually get their cars in about a week which indicates to me they go by truck to Ohio. Western PA might be the same. I'm going to predict we get our cars the third week in June.
By the way, two years ago I bought my '66 Shelby from a town outside of Pittsburgh.

StangD281

Established Member
Did you order it from a Pittsburgh dealership as your post implied? I would assume its Woltz & Wind as McCrackin claims they take no pre-orders. If it is McCrackin, there might be the answer to the problem....

svt-tmleader

Established Member
I was told that this was the first 'custom' order placed from this particular dealer and that mine would be the first car delivered to the dealer. First question; is there any truth to this?

If your car had the highest priority code, then yours should be the first to arrive.

I received a call from my salesman. I was told that my car has been schedued to be built on the 'Week of' May 27th. Last 4 #'s of the vin are 1058. Second question; is this considered ?my build number?

No, that is just your vin#, the order number is a dif #.

I spoke with my salesman tonight to find out if SVT has contacted him about building my vehicle... I was told that he hasn't been contacted by SVT. He said that usually, SVT contacts the dealer ~1 week before the car is actually built. Has anybody else received a call 1 week before their car was built? So far, I haven't read any posts on this forum or BlueOvalNews.com where anybody claims that they got this type of call

SVT does not call the dealer when the car is built. Is he just blowing smoke up your a**?

Under 'normal' circumstances, once a car is built, approximately how log does it take before the car would be delivered to the east coast (Pittsburgh PA)?

It takes about two weeks for it to reach South FL, maybe it will get to you quicker.

Barry

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
StangD281:
Acutally it was a dealer in Greensburgh (15-20)miles outta the 'Burgh. I tried McCraken as well. They told me the same thing..."We don't take pre-orders".... I told them to go pound salt :)

SonicMike:
I hope your right! I'd love to get mine 3rd week of June! That would be perfect!

svt-tmleader:
Thanks for the info...
- How can I tell what priority the dealer placed on the car? Should I call SVT? Is this something the dealer should know?
- Aslo, If the last 4 digits of your vin aren't your build #, how do I get the build #? Is this also something that the dealer should know?
-How can I tell if my car has been built? Should I call SVT? I was thinking about doing this but I don't want to 'cut the dealers back'. These guys have been good to the family for years!
-As far as the delivery goes; 2 Weeks... I was told appx 1 month. Maybe their just trying to give me worst case senerio....

svt-tmleader

Established Member
All the info you need will be on the DORA. Call your salesperson and he should be able to get you a copy. Be patient, and you will be rewarded. I know it will be tough, but the time will go by fast enough. Good luck with your new Cobra!

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Stang fan, I'm in a similar situation. Order Min Grey vert in mid Feb. Build date - week of 5/27 Vin ends in 1087. No arrival date as of yet. Keep the faith. I had an 89 GT for 10 yrs. and really miss it. This should be the Cobra to own for a long time. Coletti and team did their homework. Let us know when yours arrives. I hope to be in mine 3rd week in June. I'm located in Indy so I may get mine a little quicker. Dealer assigned a priority 10 code to it.

StangD281

Established Member
Stangfan: Tom Clark Ford in Greensburg, or Kenny Ross in Irwin? Since you said Greensburg, I'll assume the first one, but Irwin is right around the block....what exactly did he tell you out there? Do they take orders, unlike McCrackin's first come, first serve policy?

Users who are viewing this thread