Quick Questions

SB Lightning

Young Buck
Established Member
Hey, I'm new to the 1st Gens but I got a couple of questions. Im 16 and I've been driving the 02 sence I got my licence, but my parents don't want me driving it because its "their" truck :p . So I thought about getting a 1st Gen, and maybe dropping a different engine in? or maybe making the 351? better. What do you think is a better idea...and lower cost would be good too. Also, any sites on mods for the 1st gens. Thanks in advance :beer:

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
my mostly stock gen 1 may not hang with the 2 in pure excelleration, but it will hang with the 2 in twisties! might even out do it... they are fun trucks!

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
Is that actually true that a gen 1 handles as good or better then a gen 2? I knew we weighed less, but still.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
oh yeah, don't let those guys fool you. the gen 1 will hang with the 2 in the corners. if you look at the hard numbers the gen 1 pulls a .88g on the skidpad and the gen 2 pulls a .85g. it's the straight line where they will spank us.

SlowSVT95

Banned
Established Member
Lightning Kid said:
Is that actually true that a gen 1 handles as good or better then a gen 2? I knew we weighed less, but still.
Yes it's true. I have a 95 and an 04 and the 95 definately handles better IMO. :rockon:

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
ezernut9mm said:
oh yeah, don't let those guys fool you. the gen 1 will hang with the 2 in the corners. if you look at the hard numbers the gen 1 pulls a .88g on the skidpad and the gen 2 pulls a .85g. it's the straight line where they will spank us.

so all I need now is a supercharger. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!. :burnout:

Oh yea, Is it posible for the average Joe to test the skidpad numbers? I have diferent tires then stock, and never had the stockers, wondering if it increased for me...

Last edited:

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
i have a couple of off ramps that i hit like a divebomber! one is a 20mph ramp that i have taken several times at 50 plus and another that is 45 and i go into at about 65. i don't speed a whole lot, but i do love to play on the exit and entance ramps...

as for that s/c... once you do that, you will find yourself kepping up with the 2's. in our club exept for two gen 2's that are heavily modded, all the fastest trucks are gen 1's.of course mine is the second slowest...

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
dag yo i always thought that the gen 2 L's had bomb handleing. now i have something to brag about to all my friends that say there civics can take me on a autocross track anyday.

matt :pepper:

Last edited:

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
SlowSVT95 said:
Yes it's true. I have a 95 and an 04 and the 95 definately handles better IMO. :rockon:

I've heard that same comment from many people that own both Gen 1's and Gen 2's.

I love the handling of my '94. I've open tracked and autocrossed it. The handling characteristics inspire confidence and control.

Gen 1's handle better than many stock vehicles, with the exception of pure sports cars.

The world's fastest Lightning is a 7-second Gen 1. It used to be owned by Jason Brown, but I don't know if he still has it. So yes, there is good potential with a Gen 1.

- Russ

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
at lightningfest this year there were two gen 1's running mid-high nine's and looked almost stock!

LightningSteed

wheres the dancing girls?
Established Member
Lightning Kid said:
so all I need now is a supercharger. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!. :burnout:

Oh yea, Is it posible for the average Joe to test the skidpad numbers? I have diferent tires then stock, and never had the stockers, wondering if it increased for me...

you can test G forces with a G-tech meter they have a basic one ( that I have ) and a newer one
added 2/7/05: here's thier site,I bought mine from Stillen http://www.gtechpro.com/

Last edited:

Whitning95

Back In the Saddle
Established Member
Yeah deffinetly get a Gen 1. They wont blow spark plugs out of the heads and they look and handle better. Plus svt has made alot more gen 2's now and its really hard to get your hands on a clean gen 1. My 1st truck at age 15 had 24k and this was in 2001. It was a black 93 w/heads cam blower full exhaust and I used to shock the gen 2 guys all the time. Id deffinetly go to nloc and check it out. Ive been a loyal member since 01 and its a really good place.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
I don't know about some of you guys saying that the gen 1 looks better than the gen 2... :dw: But of course that's a matter of preference-and I have a gen 1!. Whitning95, you must be a pretty rich guy to have such sweet trucks so young. :beer: I do know that the gen 1's are easier to get into the 10's and such with, but that maybe because our trucks have been around longer. Either way, both gen's are cool trucks. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread