R12 or R134???

stevieb

Established Member
You can have it converted to 134a, its not that expensive and if you know someone with a 609 certification, the kit is cheap.

Spire

Established Member
I have heard that converting is possible, but nowhere near as cold or efficient.

Anyone have a 90, 91, 92, or 93??? Could you go look on your compressor, it tells the type of Freon to use.

Thanks in advance!!!

stevieb

Established Member
I have a 93 f150 and its r12. It may not be as cold, but thats all thats being used these days. r12 is about $300 a lb or more.

'93#3989

Established Member
My '93 came with R12. There have been a couple of magazine articles recently that converted to R134a by replacing the entire system. In this way the usual 'doesn't cool as well' didn't apply because everything was apparently sized correctly.

Spire

Established Member
So it looks like I can't get a fox body 'Stang with factory R134, right??? I guess I need to factor a Conversion into the price. Geez :burn:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
There are replacements for R-12 these days, FR-12, I think. I had a '92 and it used R-12. I've got a whole 30 lb. container of it in my garage, worried that it'd be hard to get.

Oh, you can use propane too. (good idea, Batman!)

Also, the '92's are the last year to have forged pistons, FWIW.

Spire

Established Member
I had an opportunity to talk to a Ford Parts guy a few days ago, with a little looking, he came back with the conclusion that early '93's were R12 and later or latest '93's were R134. He said he shows R134 parts for '93's. He didn't seem too confident in the information though.

So anyone have or dealt with a '93 with R134???

Users who are viewing this thread