Racing a Cobra R in vintage racing

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Doc,

Heard about Gary's passing just last night, words cannot express the sadness I am feeling right now. He and I had long talks on #99 when he first dragged the car back to his shop. Our condolences to his family and friends.

Sincerely

Bill S.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Heard about Gary's passing just last night, words cannot express the sadness I am feeling right now. He and I had long talks on #99 when he first dragged the car back to his shop.

Bill,
You also helped him sell that Cobra replica. Remember it? It went to Canada.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Doc,

I just read the post and am so sorry to hear about Gary passing. As others have said he was a great advocate and showed what the cars were capable of. Gary and I were trading emails just a few months ago as he was trying to track down a certain 95R Speedvision car. He will definitely be missed......... RIP

As a side note the #99 pictured above it currently for sale I believe. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5087740338.html

Last edited:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
As a side note the #99 pictured above it currently for sale I believe. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5087740338.html

If #99 above is my old #99 (raced under #18 while I owned it), it is far from all original as the front end was clipped after the guy I sold it to pushed the front end over 3 feet at the Autobahn just outside Chicago shortly after he purchased it from me.

Bill S.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Was that a Red Aurora?
Bill, I can't remember the brand either. I remember that you had some facts.

As others have said he was a great advocate and showed what the cars were capable of. Gary and I were trading emails just a few months ago as he was trying to track down a certain 95R Speedvision car. He will definitely be missed......... RIP

I agree Mark.

I just attended a vintage race weekend at Road Atlanta. Many other guys haven't heard about this.

I bought my trailer from him 15 years ago. I just changed the car number and added the 1995 Cobra R thing.

VDCAa.jpg

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Doc,

WOW! I just don't believe it. Gary and I were just e-mailing a couple months ago about this BIW race car. I just heard from Todd 30min. ago.
My condolences for his family and friends. He will surely be missed by anyone and everyone who ever had contact with him. Such a nice man.
This is such a shock, I don't know what else to say, except RIP Gary. We know you're driving an "R" up in the clouds.

mustangmad

Established Member
Haven't been on this site for quite awhile. I can't believe Gary Jones has left us. What a great guy. A few years ago a friend and I drove up to Daytona, met Gary and bought two Mustangs from him - a Bondurant school car and a 94(?) Cobra. We put the Bondo car on a uhaul trailer and delivered it to a guy in South Fla, drove back to Daytona, loaded up the Cobra and brought it home to Ft. Myers. Gary said "just send me a check when you get home Dean." And we barely knew each other! RIP Gary.

Users who are viewing this thread