rant/vent on oil changes

BigshotJG

Established Member
so i took my car to jiffy lube today for my first oil change b/c i did not have the time to do it myself. the base change is ~34 bucks. so i go to check out and my bill comes to 70 DOLLARS!!! for an oil change. nothing more. has anyone else experienced this raping? they used 6.5 quarts penzoil synthetic so im guessing thats where the gouge came from. do any of you guys change your own and how much does it cost? what oil to use and filter. thanks joe

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Usually 30 for 6 quarts of moble 1 5w30, 5 for the motorcraft filter, and 15 or 20 bucks to have it done.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
It really only takes about 20 min to to yourself. It saves to do on your own and have a better piece of mind. $70 is a little much.

BigshotJG

Established Member
ya i am pissed abouit it. no vasaline or anything. i would have done it myself but i have a hell of a lot of school to take care of. its not like i was clueless but was in a tight spot. goes to show you what happens when you procrastinate. mobil 1 is a good oil to use? along with the motor craft filter. what weight oil 5-30? and i should change the filter each time right. thanks
joe

Fang

Established Member
I use Red Line and it is expensive! I do it myself. I just bought some yesterday at a local shop for around $8.00 a quart. Yes, that comes to around $48.00 plus the filter. But it is better than $70.00.

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
I used to work at a Jiffy Lube in Elmhurst IL for two and a half years and that ia not a surprise. The standard full-synthetic oil change is $59.99 plus tax for up to 5 quarts (at least it was when I last worked there, it's probably more now) Since your car takes more than 5 quarts, that's where they get you. On top of changing the oil, they vaccum inside, clean the outside windows, check the tires, and top off all fluids (except for brake fluid), or at least they're supposed to. Even if you tell them not to do all that stuff, you still get charged for it, so you might as well let 'em do it. One more thing, make sure that they even changed your oil filter. If a customer was being a dick or the filter was in a dumb spot, we would yell out "slayer" and the upper-bay guys would know that the car is leaving with the original filter. I don't feel bad about it because that's what you get for going to Jiffy Lube, I was only working there while I was going to UTI. I still go to Jiffy Lube but that's only because they let me use their pit and their oil and filter for free and that I can do it myself without being on my back in my drive way. After being a Customer Service Advisor for Jiffy Lube for two and a half years I can honestly say that I would never take my car to a Jiffy Lube or any other quick-lube place unless I was doing the work by myself. Just do it on your own, trust me.

-Mike

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
You guys are spending too much money on oil changes. Do it yourself, takes maybe 15 min for me. I use royal purple with a motorcraft filter.

PDubs

Established Member
I used to do it myself, but it became a royal pain in the ass with the drop and rhino ramps. Now I just buy the oil/filter and go down the street to have them put it in for me. Takes 15mins and $15 for them to do it.

chitowncobra

Established Member
i do it myself. i buy stock 5w20 motorcraft oil (6.5 quarts) and stock 820s motorcraft oil filter all at your friendly neigborhood walmart for under 14.00 bucks.(i enjoy working on my car) :) :) :)

Last edited:

maddrabitt

Established Member
I used to change my own oil, but like it was previously mentioned it got to be a pain in the ass, especially since I dont have a level driveway or a big garage. Now Ive got a local shop that changes my oil for materials plus $5. Cant beat that, plus I dont have to jerk around with getting rid of my oil.

Users who are viewing this thread