Raptor Gas Mileage

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
I realize the Raptor isn't a gas miser at all, but my buddy's Raptor is getting horrible gas mileage. It is completely stock and one of the first ones built (see other threads). He can barely get 14mpg on the highway, and typically much less in the city (say around 10mpg). He tried E85 once, but the mileage got worse so he stopped.

So, my initial thought was to reset the computer (however we do that these days as I doubt pulling the neg battery cable overnight is sufficient)... Anyone else have any data on gas mileage? He has the 5.4L of course. If anyone has any info on the 6.2L that would be of interest as well (to me at least).

Thanks,

SOCOMech

Established Member
Waay too many variables as to who gets what kind of mileage of course but, as for all around average of what I've seen people putting out, 14-15 seems to be the norm. This is city-hwy combined. You gotta think that 4.10 gears and also 35's aren't exactly the best mpg material. There's a couple of guys that have a 6.2 now and reported single digit mpg.....but they're also having fun with them and only have a 100 or so miles on them so, that number will obviously come up in time.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Depending on his driving style, that mileage is very believable. He should try slowing down and driving more conservatively.

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Hmm... Well, he drives fairly conservatively, but even if he didn't I would expect him to be able to break the minimum mileage estimate.

I'm aware that the 4.10's and such will impact the mileage, but I am only comparing to the EPA estimate on the window sticker...which is 14 city and 18 hwy right? (5.4L Gas 4x4)...the E85 estimate is 10 city and 13 hwy which is closer to what he is getting with gas. I would suspect that unless he was racing all over the place, he should be able to break 14mpg fairly frequently on the highway...hell, I get 21mpg in my Shelby without even trying and that is higher then the EPA estimated mileage...and I'm hardly conservative.

I'm wondering if the ECU is "thinking" it's running E85, and as such isn't running optimally for gas...

Either way, I was just wondering if anyone else was noticing lower then expected mileage on their 5.4L Raptor and if they did anything to improve it.

steeltoe

Established Member
I got 17mpg with my Raptor once and that was doing around 75mph-80mph with the cruise set on I-95 but most of the time its around 13-15mpg.

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
EPA estimates on the window sticker are generated in a controlled environment on a dyno under ideal conditions. "Your mileage may vary."

I thought that it was normal to get worse milage when burning E85. E85 generates more energy than gasoline (equal amounts) when you burn it, but it burns quicker. So, it should take more E85 to go the same distance. More power = worse mileage.

Last edited:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Mine averages 14.2 MPG in Farm driving with the 6.2. Bout 1 MPG less than my single cab 5.4 08 F150 did with 100 more HP... I'll take it.

Users who are viewing this thread