read this it might help you-with buying a car

cobrasc03

Is it ever done?
Established Member
Alright guys....This is mostly for you guys that are serious about buying a car. Each car you check out go to NICB.org.All you need is the VIN number...This webisite will Tell you all the cars that went through a couple of the major HUrricaness...And NO "CAR FAX" wont always know about these car :mj: ......

Car fax is nice but everyone knows about it..Not everything is always reported to carfax either. WAtch your asses guys...If carfax find out the car has a history of flood damage..kiss your resale money BYE BYE..

ITS FREE, TOO---- :pepper: ----I don't know if you can but if you get a number from the website they probable will give the history of the car. It has saved my ass a couple of times.
JUst figured i would give you guys a hand....EVERY BIT COUNTS> :thumbsup:

Have fun finding a car :rockon:

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
cobrasc03 said:
Alright guys....This is mostly for you guys that are serious about buying a car. Each car you check out go to NICB.org.All you need is the VIN number...This webisite will Tell you all the cars that went through a couple of the major HUrricaness...And NO "CAR FAX" wont always know about these car :mj: ......

Car fax is nice but everyone knows about it..Not everything is always reported to carfax either. WAtch your asses guys...If carfax find out the car has a history of flood damage..kiss your resale money BYE BYE..

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from regarding Carfax and hurricane related flood damage records.

I work for Carfax and can tell you as FACT the Department of Justice and FEMA called on us to report flood damage (Both potential and actual) for all vehicles registered within federally declared "disaster" areas.

What that means to a potential consumer is they (being FEMA and the DoJ) gave Carfax the VIN data on every car registered in those areas between a block of time.

You'll see an alert if it's there.

Now, that having been said, if someone not in that area drives their car into the ocean, pulls it out without a police report, and takes it for repair at a facility that doesn't share it's data with Carfax there's no way we can get that data.

There's no way ANYONE can get that data and the same thing goes for accidents.

By recommending people skip the Carfax report with the 'hopes' of finding out something about flood damage is potentially dangerous. You're skipping all the airbag deployment, accident, salvage, frame damage, etc.. data we have. I promise you the NICB (National Insurance Crime Bureau) doesn't have near the scale of accident and accident related data we do.

Lastly, the NICB shares it's info with Carfax. They might have some information but their core product isn't vehicle history. Carfax has more than 4.2 BILLION records in our data library. We load an AVERAGE of 3 MILLION new pieces of data each and every day.

The fact is, no one has more vehicle history data than Carfax. Are they 100% fail proof? Of course not and it would be foolish to suggest otherwise. That's where due dilligence and common sense come into play.

Here's a copy of the Carfax report for my personal car. Take a look at the very first entry in the detailed history.

1998 FORD MUSTANG COBRA/SVT
1FAFP47V4WF165513
COUPE
4.6L V8 EFI DOHC 32V / REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Standard Equipment | Safety Options
CARFAX Vehicle History - At A Glance
• 4 billion vehicle history events checked from public and private sources
• Qualifies - CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
• 2 owners
• Last reported mileage - 50,638 miles

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

The number of owners is estimated by CARFAX
Year purchased 1998 2003
Type of owner Personal Personal
Estimated length of ownership 4 yrs. 9 mo. 3 yrs. 2 mo.
Owned in the following states/provinces California California, Florida
Estimated miles driven per year 8,760/yr ---
Last reported odometer reading 42,258 50,638

CARFAX guarantees the information in this section
Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem

Fire/ Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback | Lemon
Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem

Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem

GUARANTEED[/B] - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.
Register | View Terms

Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX
Frame Damage Check

No frame damage reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported No Issues Reported
Airbag Deployment Check

No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
Odometer Rollback Check

No indication of an odometer rollback.
No Issues Indicated
No Issues Indicated
Accident Check

No accidents reported to CARFAX.
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
Manufacturer Recall Check

Available directly from Ford. A current list of recalls available at

www.ford.com.
No Recalls Reported
No Recalls Reported

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 4 billion vehicle history events and found 13 record(s) for this 1998 FORD MUSTANG COBRA/SVT (1FAFP47V4WF165513).

First Owner:
Purchased: 1998
Type: Personal
Where: California
Est. miles/year: 8,760/yr
Est. length owned: 4/22/98 - 2/17/03
(4 yrs. 9 mo.)

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
03/13/1998 NICB Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original
dealer

04/22/1998 65 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Manhattan Beach, CA Odometer reading reported for title
or registration

05/15/1998 California
Motor Vehicle Dept. Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported

03/24/2000 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Manhattan Beach, CA Title issued or updated

02/15/2002 34,764 California
Inspection Station
Manhattan Beach, CA Passed emissions inspection

02/10/2003 42,242 California
Inspection Station
Lawndale, CA Passed emissions inspection

02/17/2003 42,258 Dealer Inventory
Hawthorne, CA Vehicle offered for sale

02/20/2003 Dealer Inventory
Hawthorne, CA Vehicle offered for sale

Second owner
Purchased: 2003
Type: Personal
Where: California, Florida
Est. miles/year: ---
Est. length owned: 2/28/03 - present
(3 yrs. 2 mo.)

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
02/28/2003 42,303 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
El Segundo, CA Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported

03/01/2003 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Manhattan Beach, CA Title issued or updated
Loan or lien reported

03/31/2004 48,516 Magoo's Automotive Consultants, Inc. Vehicle inspection performed
Learn more about Magoo's Inspection Service

02/08/2005 50,638 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pompano Beach, FL
Title #0092400547 Title issued or updated
Registration issued or renewed
Registered as
personal vehicle
Vehicle color noted as Black

01/07/2006 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pompano Beach, FL
Title #0092400547 Registration issued or renewed
Registered as
personal vehicle
Vehicle color noted as Black

Have Questions? Consumers, please visit our Help Center at www.carfax.com. Dealers or Subscribers, please visit our Help Center at www.carfaxonline.com.

First Owner
When the first owner(s) obtains a title from a Department of Motor Vehicles as proof of ownership.

New Owner Reported

When a vehicle is sold to a new owner, the Title must be transferred to the new owner(s) at a Department of Motor Vehicles.

Ownership History
CARFAX defines an owner as an individual or business that possesses and uses a vehicle. Not all title transactions represent changes in ownership. To provide estimated number of owners, CARFAX proprietary technology analyzes all the events in a vehicle history. Estimated ownership is available for vehicles manufactured after 1994 and titled solely in the US including Puerto Rico. Dealers sometimes opt to take ownership of a vehicle and are required to in the following states: Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Dakota. Please consider this as you review a vehicle's estimated ownership history.

Title Issued

A state issues a title to provide a vehicle owner with proof of ownership. Each title has a unique number. Each title or registration record on a CARFAX report does not necessarily indicate a change in ownership. In Canada, a registration and bill of sale are used as proof of ownership.

CARFAX DEPENDS ON ITS SOURCES FOR THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF ITS INFORMATION. THEREFORE, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ASSUMED BY CARFAX OR ITS AGENTS FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS REPORT. CARFAX FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARFAX®
© 2006 CARFAX, Inc., an R.L. Polk & Co. company. All rights reserved. Patents pending. 21.May.2006 18:17:32

cobrasc03

Is it ever done?
Established Member
well--damn--nice report!!!! But i have looked up a couple VIN on carfax and nothing came up...There is also a certain car that i looked up off svtperformance.com on carfax and it said no accidents, then i called NICB and they found a center rear hit...I bought a stolen car back in june last year and had it taken away in december---guess what car fax came back clean? It had a different VIN on the car from a wrecked mustang and the NICB knew about it but car fax said it was clean..

Looked i have been F*cked by carfax a few times and now that they can't get info straight about accidents.......I don't know.

This is just what happened to me.....I was trying to give poeple another way of checking because thier is never enough info to cover your ass

Big Top GT

Jackstand Racer
Established Member
I'm not suggesting people don't check the NICB database. I'm just saying there's a LOT of stuff they simply don't have. It's really cool of you to help out with another source of info. :)

Carfax reports to you everything that's reported to us. Accident data is something no one will every get 100% until the insurance companies come off the info.

Insurance companies simply won't part with the data because it'll put them out of business. What they're afraid of is the "diminished value" claim.

Here's what they're afraid of:

Day after day, year after year you pay your car insurance premium. One day you get hit and someone smashes the front end of your car. Now, your insurance company, whom you've paid for years, says "ok, we'll fix it good as new and back to OEM specs."

Now, they fix the car and it costs them $10000 to fix it for a car that's worth $15000. (66%: a lot but not at the Salvage threshhold) You take the car in, they fix it, and you're back on the road.

Now, Carfax takes that accident data and puts it on the Vehicle History Report for the whole world to see.

What happens when you take the car in to trade it in? Dealership runs a Carfax report (we only have 30000 subscribing dealers nationally) and see's it's hit.

Do you think the car is worth full value with known damage?

No way.

So, that takes us back to the original accident. Now we've got $10000 in damage and since we know you can't trade or sell the car for full value you file a "diminished value" claim. They cut you a check for 10k in damages and an additional 3000 to cover the loss.

Now, since they paid out do they declare the car Salvage? If so do they pay for the entire car? If the don't then at what point do they recalculate your rates (making them higher) to compensate for the thousands of extra dollars they have to pay out?

You want to be mad at someone for hiding accidents from you? Me too.

Go blame your insurance company. They're the ones f'ing you.

Don't believe me? Read this:
http://www.state-farm-salvage-titles.com/

cobrasc03

Is it ever done?
Established Member
hey it's kewl--never thought about it like that but i guess it comes down to greed and money. alright

Users who are viewing this thread