Reallll headache!

07vert

Established Member
1992 Foxbody electrical issues?

Hey guys,
I recently picked up a 1992 Mustang Notchback that was a 4cyl and an 8 cyl swap was done, the car has a carbureted 302, e303 cam, longtubes, full exhaust, battery relocation kit to the trunk, digital 6 plus msd ignition, tko transmission, thats all i can think of that MIGHT be relevant.

A week ago the starter went on the car, wouldnt start...just clicked, i replaced the starter with the mini starter from autozone, started instantly after install...i thought everything was great. Took it for a ride and it died on me while i was driving...got it started again after a little bit and got her back home okay.

I went out the next night to start her and she slowly turns over but no start and at the same time I see smoke coming up from the ebrake area...I rip apart the center console and i try to start her again, and the smoke is coming directly from where the ebrake grommet touches the frame.

Initially I thought it had been the starter, so i replaced the BRAND NEW starter i had just bought with another one, and it still sparks.

I remove the grommet and i let the ebrake wire itself hang there and upon start, and it sparks where the ebrake cable is resting up against the frame?

Do I have an electrical short somewhere? what the hell is happening?

Last edited:

racewithsnails

Established Member
Is There a ground strap running from your engine/transmission to your frame? If not there needs to be! This is easy to overlook when doing an engine swap if you aren't careful.:banana:

07vert

Established Member
Is There a ground strap running from your engine/transmission to your frame? If not there needs to be! This is easy to overlook when doing an engine swap if you aren't careful.:banana:

I will definitely take a look and post back later tonight,

any other ideas?

racewithsnails

Established Member
I have experienced a similar problem before. The starter grounds through being bolted to the engine block. Without the ground strap it will ground on whatever has the path of least resistance in this case your e-brake cable. All of the current from the starter 150 ish amps is trying to travel through the small guage ebrake cable (high resistance) and its getting hot enough to burn the sheath/grommet around the e-brake. Buy a ground strap or just use thick battery cable (0 gauge battery cable being the best) and run it from the head or a bellhousing bolt to the firewall or somewhere metal on the body. Make sure to grind off all coatings to the bare metal where you make your connections.

racewithsnails

Established Member
no prob i bet you a cold brewskie you put that strap on it'll fire right up

Last edited:

07vert

Established Member
no prob i bet you a cold brewskie you put that stap on it'll fire right up

:beer: haha if it is, ill owe you alot more then a brewskie! i ripped the whole carpet up and dash apart in hopes of finding something...no luck as of yet...the car needed some rewiring anyway and its not a DD and it needs work as it is, thats why they call it a project car though, right?! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread