Rear axle bearing bad?

XP900

Established Member
I think I may have a rear wheel bearing going. At very slow speeds coasting I hear a slight groan noise on the right side. My rear tires need replacement but I doubt they are making the racket. I haven't had my rear end apart for several years since my pinion replacement but if I recall it's a simple process to pull the cover, remove the C clip, pull the axles out straight out and then pull the outer bearing with a slide hammer. I'm not sure there is a definite way to really test the bearing since I doubt I'll see any slop in the wheel/tire. I'll probably pull the wheels, jack up the axle and run the rear axle at slow speeds just to see if there is any noise or out of roundness in the axle. Axles were good when I measured the roundout a few years ago ....and there is no vibrations with the car at high speeds. Any better suggestions? Wheel bearings are pretty cheap $ for the 2010.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I've had rear wheel bearings go bad on other solid axle cars, but they make noise all the time and it gets louder with speed. It's more of a constant wurrr wurrr / groan groan groan kind of sound that varies in relation to the speed you're traveling. At speed it would drive you nuts! It also wore out the oil seal and would leak gear fluid.

XP900

Established Member
I've had rear wheel bearings go bad on other solid axle cars, but they make noise all the time and it gets louder with speed. It's more of a constant wurrr wurrr / groan groan groan kind of sound that varies in relation to the speed you're traveling. At speed it would drive you nuts! It also wore out the oil seal and would leak gear fluid.
Yeh that's what I've usually experienced when a bearing or hub bearing goes bad. It could be a belt in a rear tire but I would think I would have thumping or vibrations at high speeds. Once I get it up off the ground I may be able to figure it out.

MG0h3

Established Member
Get going to where you hear the noise (@25mph is usually good) and do a Kindof slalom back and forth.

This will unload and load the bearings on both sides. Best way to ID a bearing issue without tear down.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread