Rear brake squeal?

venams03

Established Member
Just a little while ago I noticed a faint chattering squealing coming from my car when disengaging the clutch and started rolling. It was very prominent when I was pulling out of my garage as it echoed off the wall.

Started thinking, damn 1500 miles on the clock and bad TOB?

But now I'm not so sure.

Had my wife stand by the car when noise occurs and low and behold the squealing is coming from the rear of the car. I'm not positive but it sounds like the rear brake-pad maybe??

Anybody else have this issue? I'm wonderinf if the caliper hung up?

I also notice that sometime at speed and applying the brake, loud squeals (can't tell if front or rear) but I can deal with that as long as it is intermittent....

Hate to bring this beast in to the hacks at FORD!!

Suggestions?

venams03

Established Member
Just to clarify, squeal is constantly from the rear no matter what state the clutch is in (in or out)

I can't be the only one with this problem?

BLK_03

Established Member
How does the squeal relate to motion of the car?

Squeal when in motion?

Squeal while standing still?

BLK_03

Established Member
If you can not alter the squeal by pressing or releasing the clutch, I think it would be safe to eliminate any TOB problems...

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Clean the Brakes.....Brake dust will do this.....and our car make ALOT of brake dust.....Take the wheels off get some brake cleaner and spray away....put it back together and see if it was that....my
$.02

venams03

Established Member
I agree, I ruled out the TSB because of the way it's behaving and and is not affected by the clutch in any scenario.

Isn't there a brake cleaner that I could apply without taking the wheel off?

I'm really lazy and don't really want to mess with jacking the rear up!

NWUCIT

Established Member
Venams03,

Check the metal shield behind your rear rotors....occasionally it can be bent so as to come in contact with the rotor when moving...if it is touching, just bend it out of the way by hand (easy to do). Mine had the same problem when I brought it home...thought I had brake or wheel bearing problems.....a member here clued me in. Removed wheel, fixed in minutes. Hope this is your case also.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
You need to take the wheel off to inspect to brakes!
And when you have your wheels off(like I do) do a DEEP clean to the rims. Make them look great(Deep clean = Clean the inside of the rim)

KDog

Established Member
I have the same issue, driver's side rear. It's been discussed on here a couple of times. Here's one:

click me

NWUCIT's suggestion was the first time I've heard about the metal shield.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
venoms - I was at ford last friday for this exact thing. The pad was rubbing against the caliper.

KDog

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
venoms - I was at ford last friday for this exact thing. The pad was rubbing against the caliper.

How was the pad rubbing against the caliper?

KDog

Established Member
Hehe, well, I know that some cars have a rub with the backside of the pad and caliper, that's why I was asking. Basically, what was their fix? Just an adjustment?

venams03

Established Member
Knew I'd get some help on this board.

Cool! Always makes you fell better when other people have the same problems!!

Sounds like I'll probably have to take it in to the dealer for this one... Damn!

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
don't worry venams, it doesn't take long. My car was in to get the IRS retorqued, front suspension checked, and the rear brake noise and it only took about 45min tops. So you should be in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread