Rear end

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
I have been having a whining noise from my rearend since about 600 miles or 6 passes down the track which ever came first. I waited until 2000 miles to take it to the dealer, I wanted them to fix the 80 shake and to take a look at the rearend. They are working on the shake and ordered a new rearend for the SNAKE. So if you got a whining in your end, take to the dealer and see if you can get lucky too:)

mosconiac

Established Member
I occasionally hear a whining sound too.

It mainly happens during "spirited" driving. Near as I can tell, it does come from the rear...just a little farther back than yours.

More specifically, the whine seems to come from the interior of any Camaro/Firebird/Ricer behind me and it seems to grow more faint as they disappear into my rearview mirror.

Do you think I should take it in to the dealer or is this normal??

Last edited:

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
Your whine is excatly like mine was and it got worst......take it to the tech, let them check it out. They told me that there should not be a noise back there.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
I have the same whine. 5500 miles now, hasn't gotten any better or worse since about 2000 miles.

Only happens when running at a constant speed (which should rule out issues with any bearings).

Did the mechanics say what's wrong?

My guess has been that the lash in the pinion gear is off or that it has too much play.

agof95

Established Member
I had the same type noise in my '98 Cobra. Ford replaced the rear end after 12,000 miles. A friend of mine had a '96 snake with the same noise and they replaced it as well.

I don't remember excactly what the problem was, but the ring and pinion were replaced. I tried to get them to replace it with a 3.73 instead of the stock 3.27, but they didn't go for it. :cryying:

The problem resulted in a leaking differential. It's kind of embarrassing when you stop to discuss a race with a C4 vette owner and your rear end is smoking. The differential fluid somehow made its way to the muffler/exhaust and was burning off. :kaboom:

Users who are viewing this thread