Rear Seat Removal/Harness Install

SVTHorsnake

Banned
I just got a simpson harness from redlineNSX for christmas and can't get the back see bottom out to find mounting points. How do I remove them? Also, does anybody have a harness on a cobra? if so, what did you use as mounting points? I want to know if the ones I've chosen are wise...

:beer:

KGcobra

Established Member
There are two tabs to unhook the rear seat bottom. I dont have a pic but if i recall there is one in the middle (left to right wise) of each of the rear seats. To find it, run your finger along the edge of where the carpet comes up from the floor and meets the seat bottom cushion. When you find it, push in on it (towards rear of car) and pull the seat upwards. Then do the other side and the whole thing can come right out.

I'm not familar with the harness or where to mount it, but perhaps you can use the anchor points from the rear belts?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
On other cars they are so much easier.

2 Push Pins holding them down. One on the Passanger & Driver sides.

Need a Flat Head to get in. Push in on the pin & lift the bottom seat upwards.

U should be able to run a finga to find it...or even get a little light in it to see what ur running into.

Good Luck :beer:

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
Four or five point harnesses in a car without an appropriate roll bar or cage is a broken back waiting to happen. The factory seats are not designed to take the force of the harnesses pulling down on the top of the seat back. If your bolt the two shoulder harnesses to the floor behind the seat the forward movement of your body will pull belts tight down on top of the seat and it WILL collapse. If you look in the seatbelt guidlines in any race sanctioning body's rule book there are very specific guidlines as to seatbelt mounting points, and this is in cars with racing seats. If there is a strong enough mounting point on the rear deck (maybe the child restaint mount?) that might be an option if the belts are long enough, but I would much rather mount to a bar or cage. I'm not trying to rain on your mod but would hate to see you get hurt thinking you are actually safer.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Thanks for all the help and yes, I will be using the factory seat belt bolt points in the rear. As for the front, I already used the the rear mounting points for the seat itself. Again, thanks. as for crushing the seat on impact, I figured if I use the rear seat belt mounting points, there would be enough of an angle on the should straps that it wouldn't crush the seat.

Safe Assumption for my back?:beer:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by Worsedog
Four or five point harnesses in a car without an appropriate roll bar or cage is a broken back waiting to happen. The factory seats are not designed to take the force of the harnesses pulling down on the top of the seat back. If your bolt the two shoulder harnesses to the floor behind the seat the forward movement of your body will pull belts tight down on top of the seat and it WILL collapse. If you look in the seatbelt guidlines in any race sanctioning body's rule book there are very specific guidlines as to seatbelt mounting points, and this is in cars with racing seats. If there is a strong enough mounting point on the rear deck (maybe the child restaint mount?) that might be an option if the belts are long enough, but I would much rather mount to a bar or cage. I'm not trying to rain on your mod but would hate to see you get hurt thinking you are actually safer.
yup thats bad news.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis
What's wrong with the original seatbelt?

well, a couple of things, the factory belt is designed only to be supportive up to speeds of about 80 mph, other than that, I appreciate your concerns but I already understood not to mount the shoulder straps over the seat back and instead I was planning on, and will mount it to the back seat belt mounts so it will maintain an angle which does not place a strenuous load on the driver seat back. Thanks again for all the input

SlowSVT95

Banned
Established Member
I can't see putting in a harness if you don't even have a rollcage.. Does your car run 11s or quicker??

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by SlowSVT95
I can't see putting in a harness if you don't even have a rollcage.. Does your car run 11s or quicker??

it will be in 12's with my vortech and chip. Hopefully 11's with some good meats but that's not the point.

I don't see why people think it's so rare to harness without a cage or unless I run 11's or lower. I autocross, I drag, and I would like to have a harness. Those are three very good reasons for me to have one. Even if I had a roll cage, I would still mount it to belt points as this one is designed specifically for non-rollcage applications. Guys/Gals, it's not uncommon, infact, it's very common to have a harness without a cage.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Just wanted to say thanks to the two who instructed me as to how to remove the rear seat base. The install went smoothly and it fits real snuggly... almost a little TOO snug... In any case, I made sure that the shoulder straps were mounted at a good angle so as to not crumple the seat on any potential impact (forgot you S/N but thanks for that comment aswell).

Users who are viewing this thread