Rear Suspension Popping

railroad

Established Member
I upgraded my front and rear suspension at about 3000 miles and well pleased with the improvements.
One issue, since installation and still at about 5000+ miles is the popping from the rear, I have when traveling slow over pumps or changing directions.
BMR suggested pumping a heavy dose of grease in the poly rod ends. It did seem to help, but only temporarily. I would think a closer match between bolt diameters and rod end bores, would be one solution, but very difficult to attain. Probably have to do another alignment after swapping also.
I can live with it, but it is embarrassing to have such a nice car and it make uncharacteristic noises.
Any simple fixes out there?
thanks,

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Would you be able to duplicate it on an alignment rack? Did you do any heim joint suspension parts? Or all polyurethane parts, chasing a suspension noise can be a nightmare, I'd also go over all your bolts and even paint mark them. Just to make sure everything is tight and nothing is coming loose. That's what I did
Screenshot_20230922_143307_Gallery.jpg

railroad

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I am finishing up my drive on lift and hope to do what you suggest, when it happens.
I do have a heim joint on the upper link. The one in the center of the car and bolts to the floor pan.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I am finishing up my drive on lift and hope to do what you suggest, when it happens.
I do have a heim joint on the upper link. The one in the center of the car and bolts to the floor pan.
It's very possible that could be causing the popping sound, Chassie ears are expensive but they can definitely help diagnose any suspension noise

Steelman Wireless ChassisEAR Auto Diagnostic Tool Kit, Identify The Cause of Troubling Vehicle Noises, 4 Transmitters with 50-Foot Range (61082) https://a.co/d/3q74lOm

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If you've replaced the 3rd link I'd put a socket on that first and confirm it is tight. That thing is some crazy amount of torque and may have come loose.

Tom

railroad

Established Member
If you've replaced the 3rd link I'd put a socket on that first and confirm it is tight. That thing is some crazy amount of torque and may have come loose.

Tom
I do recall some very high tq numbers on the 3rd link bolt(s).
Seems like I might have had to pull the rear seat, also.
thanks,

railroad

Established Member
Popping or creaking is not uncommon for the suspension parts. BMR gave the grease tip, trying to help.

Users who are viewing this thread