Received my Boss 302S Grille...How do I remove the factory Grille?

chuckstang

Established Member
I havenet seen any good threads or links on how to remove the factory 2011 GT grille. It looks extrememly easy but curious if there is a good order for the steps or any items that need to be reused on the new grille and if there are any general pointers or areas to be carefull.

I really like the look of the boss grille with the functional fog light vents. I know it costs a lot of money and the roush is probably the best way to go but I wanted to be different and I have not seen this grille on a 11-12 GT yet with the factory front bumper cover.

I'll post some pix once I get it installed after I hear back from you all that have changed theirs.

thanks

csumt76

Established Member
I just posted a couple pics of this grille on my car... here.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/815921-back-game-2012-gt-2.html

I got it yesterday from BOI. Install is a breeze. You'll need to remove the shroud/cover over the radiator. Then, at each end of the factory grill you will need to pry the two retaining tabs loose with a long flat tip screwdriver. Do the same with the retaining tabs at the bottom of the grille. It will pop right out, and pop in the new one. I already had my factory fogs removed, three 7mm screws on each.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I think I'm gona wait til Spring. My car is stored away for the winter and I'm too lazy to go install it lol.

Thanks for the link, looks great!

I can't wait.

a_gorman

Established Member
Go to the Roush web sure and look at there grille, there will be complete instructions to take the oem one off.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

chuckstang

Established Member
thought someone wrote on here that the tabs usually break on the factory grille when you remove it, making it tough to ever reinstall. That was my main concern.

Thanks

chuckstang

Established Member
ohhhh no what a bummer! I did not know that the factory headlights were attached by the factory grille :(

I was going to try out the look of the boss grille with the factory fogs still in place but the boss grille does not have the holes drilled to attach the fogs.

I just dont know if I can go without the fogs because the added light they give at night.

This was one of the reasons I went the boss 302s vs the regular boss grille...giving me the option to retain the fogs.

Anyone know of a way or kit to remount the fogs on something other than the grille?

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I've been working on the same question but for a different reason. I want a 302S grille to improve the cooling for track days, but here in Canada I have to have daytime running lights that work. On cars with HID headlights, the fog lights are the DRL's, so if I swap out the grille, I need to install new working DRL's somewhere on the front of the car that won't interfere with the radiator airflow.

Both Hella and Phillips make DOT approved LED DRL/Fog lights that are "universal mount" using brackets and bolts. They just connect to the existing fog light harness. I'm looking for flat and wide, but they have round ones too. Search on Amazon for fog lights and something will come up.

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
I've been working on the same question but for a different reason. I want a 302S grille to improve the cooling for track days, but here in Canada I have to have daytime running lights that work. On cars with HID headlights, the fog lights are the DRL's, so if I swap out the grille, I need to install new working DRL's somewhere on the front of the car that won't interfere with the radiator airflow.

Both Hella and Phillips make DOT approved LED DRL/Fog lights that are "universal mount" using brackets and bolts. They just connect to the existing fog light harness. I'm looking for flat and wide, but they have round ones too. Search on Amazon for fog lights and something will come up.

i have the same problem... solution, Cs valence and run those fogs as drl's

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
ohhhh no what a bummer! I did not know that the factory headlights were attached by the factory grille :(

I was going to try out the look of the boss grille with the factory fogs still in place but the boss grille does not have the holes drilled to attach the fogs.
So drill and cut the fog holes. Problem solved.

I just dont know if I can go without the fogs because the added light they give at night.

This was one of the reasons I went the boss 302s vs the regular boss grille...giving me the option to retain the fogs.
It appears you did not properly plan or research this out. The purpose of the Boss 302s grill is not to allow fog light install. Quite the opposite, the fog shrouds have been modified from the factory to significantly increase airflow. The Boss 302 grill can easily be modified to accept the GT fogs.

chuckstang

Established Member

It appears you did not properly plan or research this out. The purpose of the Boss 302s grill is not to allow fog light install. Quite the opposite, the fog shrouds have been modified from the factory to significantly increase airflow. The Boss 302 grill can easily be modified to accept the GT fogs.

I wish it was that easy but it is not, unfortunately.

If you had the 302s grille I think it would be more obvious

chuckstang

Established Member

Thanks newb, I knew that already going into this. I just did not realize that the fogs attach to the grille so I thought this would be a non issue.

csumt76

Established Member
It appears you did not properly plan or research this out.

This is all I can agree with. I purchased the 302S grille knowing that it was a modified Boss part for additional air flow and would not fit the factory fogs. I made that decision after I decided on the CS valance and lights, rather than a Boss look without fogs.

Users who are viewing this thread