removing seized cat nuts!!!!

Tommy Gavagnini

THE SAVAGE BARBARIAN
Established Member
Man this is so annoying! Car has 36k and I cannot budge these things one bit! Got the left 2 loose but the passenger side is proving to be a real PITA!!!! I went and bought a new extension and universal and feel like I'm gonna break the extension/breaker bar on this thing!!!! Used a 650 ft/lb air gun and still couldn't budge it after 35 min!! I think I could write a whole new curse word dictionary after this!!

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Hand held torch if you dont have an oxy/acetylene set up.
I use map gas , yellow bottle, as it burns hotter.
Heat the nuts up until RED HOT , then put your wrench or impact on it , it will come right off.

Caution, the nut will burn anything Flammable it comes in contact with, so don't let it land on your shoes etc...

NastyNate420

Established Member
i just had to fight out some exhaust manifold studs so I feel your pain!
Like he said heat it up with a torch and then use candle wax and melt it into the threads.
it acts as a lubricant. There are some videos on you tube on how to do it. Good luck

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I usually use kroil oil , penetrate, quick blast it not enough to cool the fastener off.
Have to remove it while it is still hot.

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member
Craftsman nut extractors worked wonders.. Mine were totally rounded off and came right off with them.
qJ7yqoa.png

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-damaged-bolt-nut-remover-set-low/p-00952166000P

Users who are viewing this thread