Rims sizes

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I have two questions.

First What are the largest size rims you can fit on a fox body mustang? (mine - 93')

What is the largest you should go for tire sizes for the rear wheels on stock pony rims?

I would like to get some wider tires on my car for added traction
but i would probably need bigger rims right?
But then if i'm gonna get the rims i want to gets disc brakes all the way around while im at it, so it looks like i need about 4 grand layin around:lol1:

vortechlx

Join My 8 Week Program
Established Member
Sorry I cant give you specifics on the maximum size you can fit, but on my 93 notch I have 17x9's with 245-45-17's the rear tires initially would rub on my exhaust tips during cornering. I put on the maximum motorsports 1/4 wheel spacers and that cleared it up. On the front the tires rub if I turn the wheel all the way to the left. I think you could go taller but not much more wider on back. For disc breaks with a 13' rotor I read you need at least 17' rims. I know this doesnt completely answer your questions, but hope it helps. More knowledgeble guys sould be able to help you out!

Good luck, Ryan!:shrug:

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Thanks for replying.

I want to fit 18 inch saleen wheels on my car. I saw an article in the december issue of 5.0 Mustangs and super ford's, there was a 93' GT with 18x8.5 saleen wheels and i think it looks awesome. But i can't seem to find the rims anywhere on the internet and they don't list anything about them in the article. I don't know if they are the 94-98 rims or the 99-present rims.

I f anyone has any ideas that would be cool.:rockon:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
18's will be fine. no wider then 245's up front and if you wanna go higher then that in the rear, remove or flip the quad shocks around. I'm going with 275's on mine and am going to have to do something.

out99sider

Established Member
hey to help u out, those are 94-98 saleen magnesiums. someone correct me if im wrong but they were an option, but most came on the 94-95 351s. hope thats some help.

IETZR1S

Established Member
I have an 89 GT with 03 cobra wheels 17 X 9 and run a 275 X 40 on all four corners. I only rub the rim if I crank the wheel all the way. Also to make this fit I had to flair the front nose but I get zero tire rub

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I have an 89 GT with 03 cobra wheels 17 X 9 and run a 275 X 40 on all four corners. I only rub the rim if I crank the wheel all the way. Also to make this fit I had to flair the front nose but I get zero tire rub

So you have no rubbning issues with the rear tires or rims on the back, have you done anything to modify your car so that it doesn't rub in the back?

Thanks a lot for replying boys,
Sean

JrayGT

Juiced5.0
Established Member
Originally posted by IETZR1S
I have a 89 gt with 03 Cobra rims also. What color is you car?

IETZR1S

Established Member
me 89 GT is white with a black painted harwood hood. I dont have any pictures of it that I can send you because I am new to the computer world and have not figured out to move pictures yet

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
18's will be fine. no wider then 245's up front and if you wanna go higher then that in the rear, remove or flip the quad shocks around. I'm going with 275's on mine and am going to have to do something.

What he said. I have seen many fox body cars with 18s and they look absolutely sick. Make sure you have the right backspace, flip the quads, and no worn shocks or springs (will make rubbing occur).:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread