road course.. oil change,,how ofter?

cobra916

Established Member
03 mach 1... how many track events (track is 3 miles with 5 laps each time.. 4 sessions) till i should change my fluids..

engine oil 10-30 redline,diff is regular oil 75-90, tranny dex 3 atf

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Engine oil I do after every event.. Rear diff, and trans iirc was like every other or every 3rd..

Wait are you talking autocross or open track?? you have road course, but posted in Autocross.

ba#97

Established Member
03 mach 1... how many track events (track is 3 miles with 5 laps each time.. 4 sessions) till i should change my fluids..

engine oil 10-30 redline,diff is regular oil 75-90, tranny dex 3 atf

hm....where are you running where it's only 5 laps each time?? that's interesting. If that's the case I would just wait till about your 3rd or 4th event...if you aren't street driving the car. reminds me I need to change my oil. lol.

ba#97

Established Member
if you're talking autocross...and still street drive your car...then just do it like normal. you aren't running it too hard. but I don't think you're talking autox cuz you were just at Thunderhill.

cobra916

Established Member
Engine oil I do after every event.. Rear diff, and trans iirc was like every other or every 3rd..

Wait are you talking autocross or open track?? you have road course, but posted in Autocross.

sorry just seen autocross thought it was autocross/road course.. new to posting in this section.. thanks for the info.. are you running a diff cooler?

cobra916

Established Member
hm....where are you running where it's only 5 laps each time?? that's interesting. If that's the case I would just wait till about your 3rd or 4th event...if you aren't street driving the car. reminds me I need to change my oil. lol.

yes i was talking about thunder hill.. i thought it was 5-7 at most.. im much slower then you..plus im trying to stay on the road more then count laps..haha can you please tell me what oils you run? you change all every 3-4 events? are you running a diff cooler? or finned cover? the last session my rear right axle seal started to leak bad.i got meat balled.. i was thinking it might have been to the diff fluid getting to hot but it could be the axel seal just went bad.. it just leaked that day.. havent seen fresh oil since i drove it to get the exhaust welded up the day after.

ba#97

Established Member
well we were doing 20 minute sessions...and i was running about 2 minute 10ish laps...so...about...10 laps...you were probably doing 7-8 yeah. no diff cooler...just a regular old diff cover...I haven't had any issues really. honestly you probably just had a seal go...cuz I haven't had any issues...and we aren't racing full blown racecars here...nor driving insanely fast...I don't see your stuff getting that hot. now...I'm not saying it doesn't get hot. lol. for autocross I just changed my oil normally for this...I'm probably going to change my oil after this event on ths 2nd. as for oil...I haven't gotten into the crazy oils for racing yet or anything...I'm still just using pennzoil synthetic.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea when I was racing I ran Amsoil Dominator 10w30 for the weekend.. I'm not running a diff cooler either.. Not really necessary at our open track level. We're not road racing in AIX or anything.

Most full synthetic oils will be just fine for the events.. I ran Dominator because I was getting crazy good deals on it.. :)

MFE

Established Member
I think changing the oil after every event is excessive, but every time I change my oil I send a sample to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. I've tracked every one of them and at one point I paid for an oil life analysis. Even though every sample I've sent them has several track days on it, they've told me I can comfortably run it to 5,000 miles between changes. I end up changing it about every 3k anyway. I'm tracking some lead in the oil over time, which is likely bearing wear, but it's not because I'm not changing the oil every freakin' track day.

The important thing to remember about engine oil is, the underlying base oil never degrades or changes. The additives degrade, especially the ones that provide multi-viscosity and anti-foaming properties, but only given enough time and punishment. The oil can get contaminated with dirt and impurities, but only given enough exposure to external contaminants and internal wear. The oil itself doesn't turn into anything else besides...oil. So unless the oil is severely overheated, or you're not running an adequate air and oil filtration system, there's just nothing that's going to beat the lubrication ability or the additives out of the oil in the course of a single track event.

Users who are viewing this thread