Road Trip Report: R888R's In The Rain, 4:10's MPG

SteveWK

Established Member
Ive personally known a couple of great drivers that have ATE SHIT on R888s and rain…. All it takes is a short moment of overconfidence…BAM!

Gotta be on your toes with that combo…
I hear you. I tried to emphasize that the tires are brand new with zero miles. I wouldn't have attempted this with worn tires.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive personally known a couple of great drivers that have ATE SHIT on R888s and rain…. All it takes is a short moment of overconfidence…BAM!

Gotta be on your toes with that combo…
Do you think there a difference in rain performance/safety with R888s vs Nitto 555Rs?
I’ve yet to experience the R2 Nittos but I truly daily drove a Hellcat in every condition possible on 555Rs for 3 seasons and performance snow tires in winters. There were several months were the DRs were worn but I still had to drive on them daily even thru rain.
All my Mustangs have DRs and honestly the closest scare I ever had was on my ‘14 GT500 on stock Goodyears on a June morning in low 60s on an on ramp.
I guess my point is no matter how good a driver, you have to drive to the conditions.
I’ve always wanted to try the Toyos but just wondering if they were worse in the rain? I’d assume they’re better than the Nitto DRs but it’s driver overconfident thinking it’s not a DR so a little fun in wet conditions won’t matter?
-J

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you think there a difference in rain performance/safety with R888s vs Nitto 555Rs?
I’ve yet to experience the R2 Nittos but I truly daily drove a Hellcat in every condition possible on 555Rs for 3 seasons and performance snow tires in winters. There were several months were the DRs were worn but I still had to drive on them daily even thru rain.
All my Mustangs have DRs and honestly the closest scare I ever had was on my ‘14 GT500 on stock Goodyears on a June morning in low 60s on an on ramp.
I guess my point is no matter how good a driver, you have to drive to the conditions.
I’ve always wanted to try the Toyos but just wondering if they were worse in the rain? I’d assume they’re better than the Nitto DRs but it’s driver overconfident thinking it’s not a DR so a little fun in wet conditions won’t matter?
-J

I would say about the same. I am a very aggressive driver in dry conditions but transform into a “89 year old granny driving her poodle to the vet” when under unfavorable conditions (rain, sleet, extreme cold, etc)…

Ironically, I also had my worst “close call” on the stock goodyears on my GT500. Perked me right up.

Users who are viewing this thread