Roof Racks

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with roof racks on the STs?

I haven't done any research online yet (when I do I will come and edit/update the thread) other than asking the parts department at a local dealer. $500 for just the rack, no accessories to it.

Are the tracks on the roof just there for decoration (meaning you have to get a rack that will mount on the paint with clamps and such) or are there threaded holes/ways to attach a rack system to the track? **EDIT** It looks like the tracks are useless.

Rhino Rack - $369 MSRP
Enlarge_B7080.jpg

Thule Racks - MSRP $454.85
480R_ARB_oc_sized_200x132.jpg

Aeroblade_main_sized_200x132.jpg

traverse_kit_sized_200x132.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

straightliner1

Established Member
I used a Yakima rack on my 2013 Boss 302 which will also fit my Focus. There is a cheesy self-adhesive strip of plastic that goes on the underside of the metal "hook" to provide paint protection. I am not exactly comfortable with that and am looking for another solution - perhaps dipping the hooks in that can of liquid vinyl, like on the handles of pliers?

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
That's my main concern. I thought about some sort of solution like that but then I worried about the friction between the rubber and the paint; like those stories you hear about bras rubbing the paint off of the front of cars.

straightliner1

Established Member
Sorry for the delay in replying...

The "marring" of the paint I experienced on my Mustang was minimal. a light hand buffing with a mild compound fixed it right up. However, a buddy of mine had a Yakima rep install his rack during a vendor day at the local bike shop and during his first trip up the hill with the rack loaded the bars moved and tore the paint down to the metal at all 4 attachment points. You really need to ensure the rack is setup properly and the horizontal width needs to be tight but not overly-so. Clearly you understand that anything that comes in contact with the paint will mar the finish, you just need to be cautious to minimize the damage.

Ordie

Established Member
I have a Thule Rack. I removed it after 3 months and the only marks I had were from the metal clamps at the door seals.

nyde6u8u.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread