ROTC Questions

pyrocrazy

Established Member
hey everyone i'm currently in my college's army rotc program but i have not committed and i'm not on scholarship. i originally joined because i was always interested in the military and i figured rotc would give me a quasi-taste of army life. i just finished my first semester at college and i have become much more interested in committing; however, i still have some questions. currently i am a finance and accounting major (possibly with a minor in math and/or business law) and was wondering what position can i look at getting after graduating college. i understand i'll come out as a 2nd lieutenant but i'm still not sure on what i can do. would i have some desk job or be an accountant for the army (i doubt ill have my cpa by then if that matters)? additionally, what type of pay am i looking at? i understand if i commit and a scholarship is available i'll be guarenteed a job after college, get my room/board/tuition paid, and recieve a monthly stipend (i'm not that interested in the pay/scholarship). does the military only pay a certain amount of a college's tuition? currently, my parents are dishing out about $55,000 a year at my school. also, has anyone on here been in the army for a short stint and then went on to work in business world? i have heard from friends of my family that they tend to hire people with military experience (especially officers) because they have good leadership experience. pretty much the main thing keeping me from joining is that i'm not sure whether giving up four years active duty and 4 years irr (or 8 years reserve) will benefit me in the long run as opposed to making good money working for a corporation for a year or two after college and then going on to grad school/cpa and then a full time job. thanks everyone

ellis4

Established Member
In my god's honest opinion, it's people with intentions like yours that are dragging down the military. People joining for a fricken career booster, or college money.

Join the military because you want to serve, it's obvious that you are curious, and as far as what job you're going to get, not sure how it works in the Army.. But in the Marine Corps, the only thing that you can guarantee is a flight contract, and even then you're not going to 100% going to fly what you want to. The way that it works in the Marine Corps is the graduating class gets broken down into 3rds (or more, probably depending on the amount of candidates that pass)..

For instance, if there were 12 people overall. #1 gets his 1st choice on his wishlist guaranteed. #4 gets his (unless he picked the same as #1, and there was only 1 slot.. probably not going to happen), and say that #8 gets his first choice.

They do that so that not all the shitbags get stuck doing admin or something like that.

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
[/QUOTE]pretty much the main thing keeping me from joining is that i'm not sure whether giving up four years active duty and 4 years irr (or 8 years reserve) will benefit me [/QUOTE]

:xpl:

If thats why you're considering not contracting, then don't even bother. Just go get a regular scholarship and get out of the program. You don't join the Army to get rich, you join to serve your country. I absolutely hate cadets that are joining just to get tuition paid and end up bein the biggest pieces of trash in the BN.

Now as for the job you get, thats entirely dependent on you. Its based off of the OML which includes your APFT scores, GPA, and your evals as a cadet. You make a list of the 3 branches you want (sounds like you want finance corps or maybe JAG) and depending on how competitive you are, you will be assigned your branch. General pay scales can be found on google.

You need to consider what is important to you, money or serving your country in an effort to make it a safer better country. If its money and free college then gtfo. If its because you want to serve, then contract. You can PM me w/ questions. I'm a Army Rotc 3 and have spent all 3 years in college as a cadet.

Last edited:

FEARED

Established Member
I agree with the above posts, dont join for the money. Join for the expierience, the adventure, and honor to serve your country.

But if you join want to join, and are trying to figure out what type of job you might get. Just check out the goarmy.com website. It lists all the ratings the army offers. And just because you have a degree in Buisness, doesnt mean you cant be an infantry officer, or pilot, etc.

Also, you can check out other branches of the service. Just because you are ARMY rotc, doesnt mean you are limited to ARMY in your choices.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Now as for the job you get, thats entirely dependent on you. Its based off of the OML which includes your APFT scores, GPA, and your evals as a cadet. You make a list of the 3 branches you want (sounds like you want finance corps or maybe JAG) and depending on how competitive you are, you will be assigned your branch. General pay scales can be found on google.

You need to consider what is important to you, money or serving your country in an effort to make it a safer better country. If its money and free college then gtfo. If its because you want to serve, then contract. You can PM me w/ questions. I'm a Army Rotc 3 and have spent all 3 years in college as a cadet.

You actually rank all of the branches, not just three.

I'm an MSIV and graduate/commission in May. Currently, GPA is 40% of your overall ranking as a cadet.

Our national average this past year for active duty GPAs was 3.25--the highest its ever been. Why do I mention this? Because GPA is really ALL that matters now, which is complete bullshit.

Your next big thing that can influence the OML is your PT score followed by how well you do at camp. Aim for Recondo and Platoon top 5 of course.

The whole evaluation process is very subjective. Ive seen excellent leaders get the shaft, while complete retards end up doing well due to bias.

As for scholarships, you may not get tuition plus room/board. A lot of the times its one or the other.

You can choose Finance as a branch. That said, its an extremely small and competitive branch. Out of the 5000+ cadets this past year, I think there were like 12 finance spots.

Best advice, if you contract for ROTC, your main priority will be ROTC and the Army.

BTW, Ill be an engineer.

Users who are viewing this thread