RPM's on startup

cobrajohn

I am brand new to this forum. I recently bought a 2001 Mineral Grey Cobra. In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that upon starting that the RPM's go up to about 2400-2600 immediately on starting and then go back down to idle fairly quickly. I live in Houston and the weather is warm to hot, so it isn't due to cold weather.

I asked the dealer about it and they said it was normal. I called the SVT line at Ford and they told me they were sales oriented and not technical support.

I am worried that it will put a lot of wear on the engine to rev up that high on startup before the oil starts flowing and lubes the engine parts. If I let the car sit for 2 or 3 days and start it, I can faintly hear a sound that has a "metal to metal" type of sound to it for a brief instant. I may be imagining it, but I am worried about letting it sit for several days and then it winds up so high on startup.

I went back to the dealer and asked the manager to call the Ford engineers and see what they say. He supposedly called them and they told him it was normal and notheing was wrong.

Is this normal? Do any other 2001's wind up this high on startup?

I am also hearing some clunking going on in the driveline somewher, but I am not sure if it is the transmission, rear end, etc., but I will save that for another post in the near future.

Thanks for any input you can give.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
I think just about all other '01 Cobras (99's too I'm guessing?) do this. Mine does it. I see your concern/point. But, I think it revs up quickly to "pump" the oil up topside faster...maybe that's what Ford/SVT engineers decided was best. Who knows....:-?

key

Established Member
My '99 will spike up to that high just after it starts. It doesn't stay that high for any amount of time though. It just shoots up and then right back down.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i can't remember if i explained this phenomena here or on The Corral. if you find the thread over there, you can read my explanation, i'd rather not compose a short novel again.

Steve

Established Member
Yeah, I have it too. It was the same in my GT though. Personally, I like it (sounds cool). It is not that hard on the engine, no more than a normal startup.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
All Ford's have it.

Burns off the startup emissions (which are notorisoulsly the worst at startup)

Starts, goes up to 2600 or so, then come back down.

:D

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Scoriox
All Ford's have it.

Burns off the startup emissions (which are notorisoulsly the worst at startup)

Starts, goes up to 2600 or so, then come back down.

:D

Seems the answer depends on who you ask. LOL.

sssSnake 01

Established Member
I have shared this concern. The mech in me says that revving a cold engine cannot be a good thing. I hear valve clatter everytime I start up cold. No lubrication and high RPMs can't be good.

This is one of those "wonder why they did that?" questions that I think about every time I start after the car has set for more than a few hours.

I thought maybe it was a marketing statement for the Cobra. I know that anyone standing near always turns to look.

I would love the condensed version of the Novel or the link to the thread where you wrote it.

RJs

That little burst of RPM's is ok. Theirs plenty of lub sitting topside. Thats why when ever you do an oil change and you wonder why the hell it never shows up onthe dipstick, it's a lot of the oil is sitting on the uppr end of the block.....If you're hearing valve clatter, then you better check the level first thing before you start in the morning. Not good. The only other reason for a bit of startup clatter would be if you havent ran it in days/weeks...

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by sssSnake 01
I thought maybe it was a marketing statement for the Cobra. I know that anyone standing near always turns to look......

-I second that one!:coolman: lol I can't wait till I do my exhaust mods over winter, then just about every bystander is gonna turn to look... :dw: <--they'll do one of these! ya think?!?!

Wingless99

Established Member
Originally posted by RJs
That little burst of RPM's is ok. Theirs plenty of lub sitting topside. Thats why when ever you do an oil change and you wonder why the hell it never shows up onthe dipstick, it's a lot of the oil is sitting on the uppr end of the block.....If you're hearing valve clatter, then you better check the level first thing before you start in the morning. Not good. The only other reason for a bit of startup clatter would be if you havent ran it in days/weeks...

I hear the "valve train" noise on startup also. I am the second owner and bought the car at 32K miles and now have 33K miles on the engine. (The car has other problems as well which I plan on having fixed before the 36K warranty expires, it has the "vibration" which starts in around 55 - 60mph and does not go away with more speed, it has a lot of slack in the driveline in ALL gears, clunking o'plenty when shifting or getting on or off the throttle. ) Sorry I digress, back to the subject at hand.

Another couple of things to consider. I found this bit of info in the Mustang "Owner's Guide". It states:

"Ford production and aftermarket (Motorcraft) oil filters are designed for added engine protection and long life. If a replacement oil filter is used that does not meet Ford material and design specifications, startup engine noises or knock may be experienced.

It is recommended you use the appropriate Motorcraft oil filter (or another brand meeting Ford specifications) for your engine application."

A few thoughts on this statement come to mind:

1. Perhaps the "Motorcraft" oil filters have a "one-way" valve that keeps the oil up in the oil galleries and if an aftermarket oil filter is used that does not have the "one-way" valve then it take longer for the oil to get up to the valve train resulting in the "startup engine noises or knock".

2. By making this statement, Ford has made an easy way to get out of warranty on your engine problems because you used an aftermarket oil filter that did not meet "Ford specifications". (Nice trump card)

3. This is statement made which will sell more Ford/Motorcraft Oil Filters. (Put the fear into them.)

I have also read at a site elsewhere on the net regarding timing chain tensioners on the 4.6 DOHC motor being on the wrong side of the chain (the tension side vs. the loose side) and causing pre-mature streching of the chain which results in "noise" and I suppose could ultimately result in worse problems. There is a company that sells an aftermarket kit to correct this "design mistake". I do not know how credible this info is though (the site mentioned 9200 RPM regarding the engine, yikes).

The site is:

http://www.gulftel.com/vnomsss/topnews/camshim.htm

Yellow Snake

Darkside Is Near
Established Member
I think you are dead on about the oil filter.
The box the FL-820S filter comes in says "New one way silicone valve"

Imagine that.

Mine has always chattered on cold start-up, about 3-5 seconds till pressure is up and oil is moving around.
All this brings up the tight clearances within these motors, and the need to use the supposed 5-w-20 oil specified by Ford.

They dont want us clogging up any little oil passages.
I really think thats why they rattle and ping.
everthing is so tight that when you are up in the rpms, the oil just cant get to where it needs to be, result chatter and pinging.

Thats my 2 cents worth....:read:

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
I agree about the oil filter bit...think they (Ford) used smart marketing in regards to warranty work, a nice way to put "fear into people" like eharston mentioned above. I'm using 5w-20 with the Motorcraft oil filter & don't have any rattling/ticking noises on start-up (then again, I don't let my Cobra sit for more than 24 hours at a time-I drive it fairly often!) :eek:

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
rpm on startup

The rattling on startup you are hearing is the timing chain rattling. the tention on the chain is controlled by oil pressure, so until oil pressure is built up to a point there is a slight metalic sound. It worried me to at first but apparently this is a normal thing.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Yellow Snake
They dont want us clogging up any little oil passages.
I really think thats why they rattle and ping.

The pingin really has less to do with the oil than with the fuel used i believe.

Established Member
What about a squeak? Whenever I start up I hear a squeak almost like belt noise. My belts are still very new and it is in the 70s here in Gainesville. And I have clunking thourhg the gears--oh wait, I forgot, SVT sent me a T45 instead of a 3650 when my tranny died at a month old. Of course, now they are saying they sent me a 3650 and will not replace it. They say that a T45 cannot be put in my car without extensive modification. Well, it took 45 minutes and I had a T45 in my car!

Sorry about the rant, but, it just really bothers me.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by 103
What about a squeak? Whenever I start up I hear a squeak almost like belt noise. My belts are still very new and it is in the 70s here in Gainesville. And I have clunking thourhg the gears--oh wait, I forgot, SVT sent me a T45 instead of a 3650 when my tranny died at a month old. Of course, now they are saying they sent me a 3650 and will not replace it. They say that a T45 cannot be put in my car without extensive modification. Well, it took 45 minutes and I had a T45 in my car!

Sorry about the rant, but, it just really bothers me.

-Why in the world would they replace your trans with a T45 instead of the 3650? They couldn't locate a 3650 or something? :( Sorry to hear about that if that was the case....:sad

Established Member
After waiting more than two weeks for an emergency order from SVT, we received a shipment that said TR3650. They pulled it out and it was a T45. Due to the extended amount of time it took SVT to send it out and it is my only car, (in FL we can do that:D ) they dropped the T45 in and ordered a 3650. And now SVT is saying that there is no way I could have a T45 in my car and that they will not send out a correct one. Now I, with my dealer, am about to fight back. Just figuring out how, that's all.

MG01

Established Member
I have the exact same start-up issue and have wondered about wear implications. When my car ( mneral grey 01) fires up the RPMs go to 2400-2600 then settle down very quickly. I have had my car for almost a year. I have always eased her along on any drives until car warms up. Seems to perform well once warmed up.

I have not gone to my dealer on this partly due to not wanting to get frustrated as many trips to these guys has been like pulling teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread