Saleen Tour and PJ Info

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
I've been in Irvine all week for training, and I remembered that Saleen is also in Irvine. As it turns out, the Saleen shop is literally only 1/4 mile from where I've been training all week! The Saleen store at Irvine Spectrum Plaza told me they give tours, so I managed to squeak in today. :D

First off, let me say that I liked the photos of the PJ, but after seeing one (and sitting in one!) today, and talking to some of the engineers about it, I'm actually much more impressed with it.

The engine is indeed an Al 4.6 3v, bored 0.020" over and stroked to 5.0L. But, the engineer I spoke to (Andrew - very cool guy) said that the pistons are actually a forged in-house design, and the rods & crank are also forged. He also told me the heads are ported, and it has new cams. It's also high compression and has aggressive timing (but can take even more). Bottom line, it's got 400hp and 390lb/ft of Torque. The rear is still live axle, but with a Watts link.

The seats are NICE. Definitely better than stock, and have body-color (grabber orange) matched inserts front & rear. The short throw shifter also felt really good. Brakes are 14" rotors with Saleen 4 piston calipers. It has a 3.73 rear, and 19x9 front, 19x10 rear custom Al wheels.

(I also asked about a Saleen package for the GT500, but nobody had heard anything, and there was no GT500 anywhere in the shop.)

But enough with the talk - you want pictures, right? Well, they're only cam-phone, but hey - it's something! BTW - they're also currently assembling the first White S7 - it's got a black interior and a very cool pearl coat on the outside - it looks sweet. Too bad I don't have $550,000...

BTW - I have to leave Friday, but on Saturday afternoon Steve Saleen is having an autograph session at Irvine Spectrum plaza, with free PJ posters. IIRC, they also said you could take a PJ for a test drive (no idea on the details for that). AND - during the tour, they mentioned that they're supposedly GIVING AWAY a PJ this Saturday! Is anyone in CA gonna be around to see?

Interesting to note - they've got a BUNCH of PJs in progress, but apparently #500 is already completed... :shrug:

Last edited:

bubbrubb

wait, you mean to tell me that Randy Fontenot's 07/Shelby gt-500 that he paid msrp for wasn't at the saleen shop to be upgraded :D

on a serious note, sweet pics of the PJs but I'm bummed that nobody knows anything about a Saleen GT500 there :(

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Unfortunately no - I didn't get to drive one. I *did* get to sit in the press car and get a feel for it, but the test drives (IIRC) are supposed to be this Saturday at Irvine Spectrum. So - anyone in the area, take a look so you can drive one (hopefully) and post impressions!

I *DID* get to hear one as a worker was driving one up to a lift, and it definitely sounded MUCH better than stock. The mufflers (at least for the standard S281) are Magnaflows welded to the custom Saleen exhaust pipes. The PJ has stock tailpipe locations, but I'd bet they're still Magnaflows, just different pipes.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
VelociTT said:
wait, you mean to tell me that Randy Fontenot's 07/Shelby gt-500 that he paid msrp for wasn't at the saleen shop to be upgraded :D

on a serious note, sweet pics of the PJs but I'm bummed that nobody knows anything about a Saleen GT500 there :(

The only GT500 anyone knew about was one that was in the parking lot earlier that day, which wasn't there when I got there. Most likely a customer/visitor, but who knows. To be honest, there's no test track at the shop, so it *is* possible they really are working on one, just not at this location. Who knows. Maybe Randy will post pics someday.

bubbrubb

eichisama said:
The only GT500 anyone knew about was one that was in the parking lot earlier that day, which wasn't there when I got there. Most likely a customer/visitor, but who knows. To be honest, there's no test track at the shop, so it *is* possible they really are working on one, just not at this location. Who knows. Maybe Randy will post pics someday.
That makes sense to me and hopefully the GT500 will be a test mule or something for the engineers to start working on? I'd like to see what kind of bodywork Saleen would put onto a GT500, as I think that they have some really good stylists over there.

about the GT500 thing, I was just being a prick and inappropriately poking fun of something that really annoys me on the forum. Good to know that one is at least in the area for Saleen to look at :beer:

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
I also forgot to mention (and take a picture). They had a TON of rejected Lysholm screws (not yet in housings). They get the raw screws in and inspect them for the tiniest of flaws. They had a pallet full of them packed in foam. Andrew there picked one up and let me play with it - the machining involved with those things is unbelievable!

And comparing all the Mustang-based Saleens, the PJ would also be my choice. All forged internals N/A 400hp motor. Bruce, I'd love for you to drive one and compare it to your 'R! The PJ was definitely made as a track car, rather than a strip beast.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
PS - Remember, this Saturday they're doing the poster giveaway, signing, test drives (I think), and supposedly giving away a PJ (that's what my tour guide said, anyway).

Is anyone going to be around to take a drive and give impressions? Maybe win a PJ? ;)

WS.6 Man

Established Member
Thanks for the pics. I got to see the Saleen factory from some large shopping center in Irvine few months ago. I think it was the Irvine Spectrum. Anyways in the shopping center they had a nice S281 SC on display. I think on my next trip to Orange County I might try to get a tour of the factory. BTW those Saleens Stangs are hot, and they are on my shopping list for next sports car/pony car/muscle car.

Users who are viewing this thread