Selling the Lightning

CombatVet13

Convicted Hemi Killer
Established Member
Okay, here goes. I am in the process of getting a house and I just found out I have a kid on the way and I am am making a sacrifice that I really don't want to make. House or the car? While it is a tough decision I think im making the smarter of the two. After all of my research I see the truck's value to be from $15,000 to $16,500. The truck is garage kept and is in absolutely immaculate condition. I just had a paint sealant put on when I got it detailed. The exterior is scratchless and the interior just got detailed.

I listed everything I possibly could below. I have several local people interested but I have not decided what I will sell it for. Any suggestions on what I should sell it for would be appreciated. Also, where should I sell it at? (e-bay, autotrader, park it on the side of the road, newspaper)

Thanks much :beer: :shrug: :beer:

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Sorry to hear about that, but maybe once again you'll decide to pick up another L in a few years or so.

http://www.cars.com seemed to help really well when my father went to sell his 68 Vette, he got tons and tons of calls.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
CombatVet13 said:
Thats kinda what im worried about.....all the BS'ers calling to make lowball offers. What would you suggest I ask for it?

$15-17,500 maybe?

Whatever your price is, don't let anyone talk you down regardless, make sure you make it clear in any ads on the internet that contain any of your phone numbers you want serious offers only. He pulled his Vette out of the garage and pulled it next to the house and got people stopping by that were dreamers, Im sure half the people that called were dreamers too.

If someone wants it, they'll pay for it.

My father had so many calls, they had to stop answering the phone because it was getting too much, and the list of people to call back grew so much if Guy A didn't want it when he came to look at it on a certain date.

Henrik

Established Member
Hey Justin, You are making the right choice here. As soon as your baby is born you´ll know it was the right choise you made. There is a time for everything. Gongrats!!!!!!!

Anyway, sounds like at good truck, wish I was looking for one.!

Henrik

Rdslightning

Black Is The Fastest.
Established Member
CombatVet13 said:
Okay, After all of my research I see the truck's value to be from $15,000 to $16,500.

I listed everything I possibly could below. I have several local people interested but I have not decided what I will sell it for. Any suggestions on what I should sell it for would be appreciated. Also, where should I sell it at? (e-bay, autotrader, park it on the side of the road, newspaper)

Well i actually sell cars for a living so i may be able to offer some good points.
As far as the price on a private sale I would reccomend asking $2,000 more then your looking to get for it. You will always get low-ball offers especially on a truck like this. All the young ppl with no money want them. As far as advertising, I would never put a sign on it for sale, thats inviting problems *insert comments like you dont know what your talking about here*. Use autotrader.com . The person who buys this truck IS going to know what they want. Autotrader allows them to look for just a lightning anywhere in the country. We advertise all our special vehicles there because it works. People can target just the cars they want to look at. The person that drives by and sees a For-Sale sign is gonna say "oh thats kool i want one" and your going to end up with endless calls, people saying "well my dad just bought a F-250 for 13,000 i want a F-150 for less". You will not be able to sell this truck to an impulse buyer who just happens to see it. You want somone who is educated on the truck, knows what they want, knows what they can afford, and knows that yours is the one they want, all before you tell them where you live and when your home to show it to them. (im sure this wont happen but ive had two customers get robbed selling there own cars. The guy knows you not going to be home and ends up with with some good stuff and a car because they know its not your daily and the keys are probably sitting in a basket on the counter). Please save yourself some headaches.

DarthLord

Established Member
Hey Man, I've looked for a while when trying to get mine. Your miles are great for a 2000. My friend picked up a 2001 with 46k for $18,500 with NO MODS. If I could make a suggestion... Your going to get the "BOOK" of the car unless somebody knows the mods at what they do. I would suggest selling the car for $18, and removing all the mods so the truck is as factory as possible, then sell the mods out here, and you should make more that the $19 you were originally looking to get...

As for the baby they are great, just had ours 2 months ago, and it was either the
stang or an L, so I sold the stang and got an L!! You'll get one soon... There's also a link about a 200? L be produced by ford. Its on the site somewhere... Good Luck! CC

tharsis

Established Member
don't really have any advice but thats awesome that you value your child and family's well being over some materialistic truck. very respectable.

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Rdslightning said:
Well i actually sell cars for a living so i may be able to offer some good points.
As far as the price on a private sale I would reccomend asking $2,000 more then your looking to get for it. You will always get low-ball offers especially on a truck like this. All the young ppl with no money want them. As far as advertising, I would never put a sign on it for sale, thats inviting problems *insert comments like you dont know what your talking about here*. Use autotrader.com . The person who buys this truck IS going to know what they want. Autotrader allows them to look for just a lightning anywhere in the country. We advertise all our special vehicles there because it works. People can target just the cars they want to look at. The person that drives by and sees a For-Sale sign is gonna say "oh thats kool i want one" and your going to end up with endless calls, people saying "well my dad just bought a F-250 for 13,000 i want a F-150 for less". You will not be able to sell this truck to an impulse buyer who just happens to see it. You want somone who is educated on the truck, knows what they want, knows what they can afford, and knows that yours is the one they want, all before you tell them where you live and when your home to show it to them. (im sure this wont happen but ive had two customers get robbed selling there own cars. The guy knows you not going to be home and ends up with with some good stuff and a car because they know its not your daily and the keys are probably sitting in a basket on the counter). Please save yourself some headaches.

Great advice...

Doug 75604

Established Member
that is cool you are thinking of your family first. If you wanted to trade i have a 05 chevy trailblazer I just bought we could make a trade if you do not have a faimly vehicle. Either way I think the money your thinking about is on track. Good luck and congrats

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread