Shelby to defeat a Z06 ? Long Read

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
Yates...Man said:
OK, so I am looking at the obvious here. The Z06 weighs about 3,130 lbs. and makes on avg. 455 hp to the rear wheels without any mods. That means Chevy is calculating a 10% drivetrain loss, yea right!

Also it is wearing 325's out back on a 12 inch wide wheel and all set up not to hop but rather hook up.

So stock, and I think the majority of these cars will remain stock except for cam work, head work, or nitrous. Blowing a car at this compression seems a little,,, well difficult. Does this car have forged pistons?, I know it has a light bottom end with those titanium rods.

So it has a (3130):(455 rwhp) 6.89 lb. to 1hp ratio. 6.89:1

If they can get another 100rwhp out of it at the rear wheels the ratio will be (3130):(555 rwhp) or 5.64 lbs. to 1hp ratio. 5.64:1 Freaky!!

Now can we even get anything bigger than a 295 or 315 on the back of the Shelby with shock mounting and wheel well design? We sure as hell can on an 03/04 Cobra. Not to mention with a solid axle we can get a 325 tire in there.

Now the Shelby will probably weigh an unfortunate +-3750lbs and be underrated at 450hp. The 03/04 Cobra was underrated by some 9 % actually making close to 425hp stock sometimes more. If this is the case with the Shelby we are looking at 490.5 at the flywheel.

The following ratios are what we should expect. (3750):(415 rwhp) I got 415 by calculating 85% of 490 hp= 415 rwhp estimate or 9lbs.:1hp which is sick. Not to mention we might not be able to put any rubber to the ground.

Now if we can get 600rwhp, which is all too possible approx 700hp at the flywheel we will have a nice little ratio of 6.25:1 which means we could possibly break the Z06's back in the quarter if we can get some rubber on this car in redlight to redlight trim.

If we run into a Z06 spraying making 555rwhp and 5.64:1hp we need to do better obviously.

Like 675 rwhp which some 03/04 Cobra owners are packing as we speak. In the Shelby this would equate to 5.55lbs:1hp. and approx . 776-800hp to the flywheel using 15-18% for drivetrain loss.

So in all reality a 3600lb Cobra wearing Nitto 315's and packing 600hp should spank the new Z06 redlight to redlight and in the quarter. The power to weight would be 6:1 better than the stock Z06's 6.89:1

I might just stick with my 03 since I can get the rubber on it one way or another and it is lighter by a touch over the unofficial Shelby numbers.

lmao......................whats gonna happen to that shelby when the road throws a curve at it????

the vette is just gonna fly thru the corner and the shelby is just gonna fly right off the road into the ditch :pop:

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
1993cobramustan said:
Let us all give the Corvette it's due....A Stock Shelby GT500 will not be faster in a 1/4 mile test, or handle as well as a Stock Z06 on a road course....You guys are comparing apples to oranges, a steel-bodied 2 plus 2 coupe versus a 2 seater composite-bodied sports car, designed from the bottom up to be what it is, and still delivery 25+ mpg on the fwys....You can modify one car or both cars and the margins will probably always be on Corvette's side.....The Shelby is a whole different animal with obvious advantages over the Corvette, but the Corvette is the premier American Sports car right now, in the 2-seater catagory, and is a bargain for what it delivers in performance....I am a Ford guy through and through, but l tip my hat at Corvette, and wish Ford had kept developing the 2-seater T-bird into a Corvette-eater, but as you all know, they gave up the race in 1957. Chevrolet has been committed to the Corvette since 1953, and the Z06 is the result of over 50 years of constant development. Just be aware that a Z06 SS is planned for 2008 model year, with a smaller-displacement blown motor rated at 600+ HP......

Very well stated. The new Z06 is an stellar car and the traps i've read about are mid/high 120's bone stock. If the "Blue Devil" does emerge with blown 600+ HP in a rumored at-or-sub-3000 pound package it'll be one hell of a car :bowdown: ; particularly if Chevy makes it as mod-friendly as the 03/04 Cobra. Our only saving grace would be that it would be too light to put that much power to the ground effectively.

I really do hope Ford puts out the GT500 at a very under rated 500hp and with top notch goodies inside the block; then we might have a chance.

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Z06 Vs Shelby----continued

Thanks for agreeing that the Corvette is a great machine....The current Corvette non-Z06 I believe runs 0-60 in 4.1 and the quarters in the 12's..not bad for a "400hp" non-aspirated motor that gets 18/28 mpg with a manual trans......The Shelby's best chance is to be a car that looks like a "Shelby" not an upgraded GT, and to have enough horses to give either Corvette a run for its money,even if it does not overwhelm the Z06, since most cars either Domestic of Foreign do not come close to the performance of the Corvette or Shelby in regards to performance vs price of the car.......

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
Shelby to defeat a Z06 ?
wizardofoz1.jpg

kyStang1889

Ford Tech
Established Member
lmao......................whats gonna happen to that shelby when the road throws a curve at it????

the vette is just gonna fly thru the corner and the shelby is just gonna fly right off the road into the ditch

Your talking rights have just been revoked

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
FastFreddySlone said:

the vette is just gonna fly thru the corner and the shelby is just gonna fly right off the road into the ditch :pop:

Yea I know they shouldn't even bother putting a steering wheel in the Shelby instead we could use oars, I mean all the street races I have been involved in always involved hair pin turns and 90 degree bends. RIGHT.

Case and point.
http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=E44A38C6-7023-4A67-9843-5EADEFAD6E57

Last edited:

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
meaty mac said:
as much as i hate to say it, i think the only time a shelby will hang with a c6 z06 is on the highway, from a roll. even then, it'll probably need 80-100 more ponies than the vette, because of weight difference and distribution. not to mention superior areodynamics. at a stoplight, i would think it would take a hell of alot of mods to be competitive with one. i think the gt 500 is going to be more of a highway terror. alot of people are really underestimating the new z. just wait until these new owners get comfortable with them and parts start coming out. remember, anyone who can afford a 70k car is probably an enthusiast who can probably find a way to extract alot more performance out of them. i bleed ford blue, but i have to say this thing is probably going to be a monster from a stoplight.

I agree, the 07 Shelby will probably be just as easy to mod as the 03-04 Cobra. I don't think it will be all that difficult to squeeze an extra 150hp over the Z out of this mill. Even with a 4.6 it's not that difficult and with another 49 cubes and revised heads we will have plenty to start with.

Jpjr

Established Member
I'm as die hard a Cobra man as anyone on this board, but I still can't see the comparison between the new Shelby and the Z06. I'm about to plop down $10k in all to add a few hair dryers to my '03 Fairlane.. but I'm aware of the obvious: You can mod any car, even a Ford Festiva, to run 9's. All it takes is $$ and wrenches. But the Z06 is a race car package in a factory setup that actually drives like a car made in the 21st century. Have any of you guys driven a C5 Z06? They ride SOOOOO much nicer than our cars. I mean trans, suspension, throttle response, everything. This is why our cars will never get the props that the Vette does by the average Joe. Normal people who don't have an eye for mods respect the Vette because its the obvious American champ right now. Not to mention it costs $20k more out the box.

All I can say is that I fully expect you future Shelby drivers, that are aware enough to be posting on a performance forum like this.. to be killing Z06's anytime anywhere. That will always be the case, no matter what it takes. :rockon:

mustangbee

Established Member
yeah, i dont think alot of u dudes realize what this vettes guys have to work with..7.0 liters!! thats insane... i wouldnt be surprised at all is we see lots of races were heavily modded shelbys get the jump off the roll and appear to have won, only to have the vette blow by them at high triple digits.. this things a monster. some guy earlier was talking about the zo6 running mid-low 12s.. yeah i saw a video were a dude was running low 12s and they changed drivers and the other one started out running high 11s(11.87 in think)..its the driver with this car..hell ive seen 11.5 stock before.. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE this car ppl.. u will be embarrassed

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Competition is a good thing. The Charger and SRT8 cars, The new Porsche lineup, just to mention a few of the rising competition.

Let's hope Ford still has enough time to see how good the new Z06 is and give us the same hardware capability to match or better the Z's straight-line performance, just as they did with the 03/04 cobra and the C5 Z06.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
03SoCalCobra said:
Let's hope Ford still has enough time to see how good the new Z06 is and give us the same hardware capability to match or better the Z's straight-line performance, just as they did with the 03/04 cobra and the C5 Z06.

It would be nice, but much of the GT500's added power is gonna get eaten up by its added weight (3850#) and even worse weight dist.

They could surprise us though

Users who are viewing this thread