shifter on 2000 R - anyone removed the bushings?

Andy M

Established Member
At our SCMC meet last night, our newest friend from Louisiana (Steve Broussard) told us he had his bushings removed in the shifter to get rid of some of the cushy feel in the shifter. Both myself and Joe Johnson sat in the car with it running, clutch depressed and moved the shifter around in each gear... WOW! What a difference!! The shifter is ALOT more precise now. Clicks into each gear with precision now, so you know exactly where you are going with it at all times.

I am just wondering if anyone else has done this to their 2000 R shifter? Or any other R owners out there who have done this before? What (if any?) are the long term effects of doing this? Will it shorten the life of the shifter, or is it just an alteration of the feel of the shifter and nothing more?

Comments pls from anyone who has done this, besides Steve??

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
At our SCMC meet last night, our newest friend from Louisiana (Steve Broussard) told us he had his bushings removed in the shifter to get rid of some of the cushy feel in the shifter. Both myself and Joe Johnson sat in the car with it running, clutch depressed and moved the shifter around in each gear... WOW! What a difference!! The shifter is ALOT more precise now. Clicks into each gear with precision now, so you know exactly where you are going with it at all times.

I am just wondering if anyone else has done this to their 2000 R shifter? Or any other R owners out there who have done this before? What (if any?) are the long term effects of doing this? Will it shorten the life of the shifter, or is it just an alteration of the feel of the shifter and nothing more?

Comments pls from anyone who has done this, besides Steve??

Yes Andy, we removed them in our 95R. They are just there to dampen the transmission vibration nothing more than that. There will be no damage done if you want to remove them.

I have not removed them in my 00R's just due to the fact that I have really had no problem finding gears in those cars. The 95 was a totally different story, I couldn't find a gear if I was sitting on it.

Brian

Andy M

Established Member
Thanks Brian... I think I am going to get em removed next time my R is in the shop... I really like the notchy sporty feel.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
do you remove the rubber bushings altogether? or replace them with a stiffer material bushing?

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R
do you remove the rubber bushings altogether? or replace them with a stiffer material bushing?
Ken,

I think he just removed altogether? You won't believe how much better the shifter felt?!! It just clicked into each gear and didn't feel at all notchy or like it was too loose or anything.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I've had that problem a few times while going into 3rd gear....it felt like the shifter was getting stuck somewhere between 1st and 3rd....so, i just kept the clutch in while i searched for the right gear....uuuggghhh!!!! how embarrassing!!!! there's nothing more embarrassing than a missed shift!!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Andy M

Established Member
Ken,

My R is going to Houston Performance for some work while I am in Daytona :) ... I am going to get them to remove the bushings on my shifter while it is there. I should get the car back next week some time and will report back on how the shifter feels at that time.

XLR8-R

Established Member
Removed the bushings on mine. You need solid bushings to replace the rubber insulator. They are available from Steeda as well as other Mustang vendors. You will feel more vibration in your hand but it is not detrimental to the car. You can also buy a different handle(shorter,aluminum) from Steeda, which is what I did.

Carter

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by XLR8-R
Removed the bushings on mine. You need solid bushings to replace the rubber insulator. They are available from Steeda as well as other Mustang vendors. You will feel more vibration in your hand but it is not detrimental to the car. You can also buy a different handle(shorter,aluminum) from Steeda, which is what I did.

Carter
Carter,

How do you like the new shorter stick? Are you still using the same Mustang knob, or did the new shifter come with its own knob? Exactly how much shorter is the new stick? Do you have a part number for me to order one from Steeda?

Thanks!

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
the stock height is ok with me, but i'd like it to be located a little more towards me....i have long arms, but, not long enough, lol....

TcM-668

Andy...

I have an extra Steeda Tri-Ax shifter that is not being used right now, so you could can try the handle on yours if you want...

It will be a while before I can get my Tremec back in my 93 GT so, you can see if you like the handle. It uses standard stainless steel bolts so you don't need the shifter bushings and it brings the shift knob back a little more towards the driver...

I think I could cobble something together to act as shifter bushings if need be...

I'll probably throw a Tri-Ax on my '00R only because I like the feel of it vs the B&M...It seems a lot more aggressive on the 2-3 upshift than the B&M...Maybe it's just me...

I do have a B&M in my '93 GT and a Tri-Ax in my '93 LX right now...

Talk to you later...

don...

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by TcM-668
Andy...

I have an extra Steeda Tri-Ax shifter that is not being used right now, so you could can try the handle on yours if you want...

It will be a while before I can get my Tremec back in my 93 GT so, you can see if you like the handle. It uses standard stainless steel bolts so you don't need the shifter bushings and it brings the shift knob back a little more towards the driver...

I think I could cobble something together to act as shifter bushings if need be...

I'll probably throw a Tri-Ax on my '00R only because I like the feel of it vs the B&M...It seems a lot more aggressive on the 2-3 upshift than the B&M...Maybe it's just me...

I do have a B&M in my '93 GT and a Tri-Ax in my '93 LX right now...

Talk to you later...

don...

sounds great to me....Andy, if you do try it out, would ya let me know how you like it? Thanks! :coolman:

kevin

i'v replaced the rubber isolator. you gotta put a set of metal bushings in cause the holes for the bolts to hold the shifter on will be too big. third's a lot eaiser to find now

TcM-668

My B&M ripper shifter for my T5 did not come with a handle, you re-used your old one, sans bushings, if you choose to do so...the factory shifter assy is not bad, but the 2-3 shift is not really assisted at all so you have to hunt for 3rd from time to time...

The factory shifter handle has the rubber bushings, but you could sleve the bolts with steel/aluminum/nylon isolators that go into the shifter, or temporarily put a stainless steel washer under the bolt head, to see if you like the feel. You could also just braze up the holes and then re-drill them as well. Anything to eliminate the rubber isolators.

The Steeda shifter assy/ handle is not designed to use the bushings, so it just bolts up. some people don't like the way it off-sets the shifter handle though, so it truly is personal taste.

I like the Steeda Tri-Ax since it does all but shift 3rd for you...I just come out of 2nd, pushing with the palm of my hand, and the shifter drops right into 3rd everytime(assuming I don't foul up with the clutch)...but some people do not like the aggressive 2-3 shift...You almost have to fight the shifter if you are down shifting from 3-2...From 5-4 is great, just drop it down, and it will find 4th with little to no problems...

...still not idiot proof though...heheheh

Just my $ .02 worth...

Don...

Andy M

Established Member
I'm getting the Steeda shifter installed!

Don,

Since my car is going to Houston Performance for a plethora of small items tomorrow (while I am having fun at Daytona!!), I called Steve and he has a Steeda shifter in stock for my car. I will just get them to install it while the car is there.

Thanks for the offer to use yours, but I just as well get my own now, cause I really never liked the B&M that much. I have a UUC shifter in my M5 and it beats the crap out of the B&M - any day of the week.

I will keep you all posted on this.

Andy M

Established Member
I stopped in yesterday to check up on the R at Houston Performance and they had already installed my new Steeda Tri-ax shifter... MAN!! What a difference!! :D :) Can't wait to take her out and let the gears rip?!! A LOT shorter throw than the stock B&M and it is much more precise! Should prove to be a big improvement.

An added bonus is the shift knob is now closer to the left and back some than the original position. Even though I have a long reach, it was somewhat tiresome after a while reaching for third! :(

TcM-668

I thought you might like the Tri-Ax...it does give you a better reach to 3rd, but 5th seems like it is a little bit of a stretch...

I have them on my 2 other Mustangs, and love them...

I guess I'll have to get one for mine now...

Talk to you later...

Don...

Andy M

Established Member
Picked up the R today and WOW!! How nice it is to have a good shifter in this car!! The Steeda Triax shifter has a much shorter throw and is much more precise than the B&M. Much easier to find 3rd now also.

Users who are viewing this thread