shorty or long ??? Headers

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
what is the deal with shorty or long headers. In choosing a set of headers while waiting for my Borla catback to come in what do I need to look at in deciding which way to go. Give as much detail as you can please.... Thx

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I am not an expert, but all of the car guys I know say that shorties are a waste of time. Since it's such a pain to install headers, they say shorties don't provide enough of an improvement to justify the time/expense.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
I haven't seen much gains reported from the long tubes either?

Especially considering the price and installation...

MoPony

Established Member
check the the search on lt headers people have said they drag alot on speed bumps and such

8UR VETT

Established Member
i am buying a pair JBA shorties because they flow better and unlike the long tube headers they are smog legal.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Shorties
-------------------
1. Some are street legal.
2. Can be used with existing x-pipe.
3. Installation (unless self-installed) results in poor cost-per-HP/TQ ratio.
4. Smog check friendly.

Long Tubes
-------------------
1. Better flow = Greater potential HP/TQ.
2. Poor ground clearance.

I would go with shorties. But only because I live in CA.

sqidd

Established Member
The Bassani headders are a mid-length design. I saw the prototypes on Pauls (from PHP) car and they are definitly not shorties. The Bassani Xpipe is modular enough to work with the Mid's. I am waiting for this set. They should be out in December. Paul said a pullied car should gain 25hp.

sqidd

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I think the only concern on a non smog legal header is the visual inspection.

The headers are so tucked away and out of view I am assuming that no one would notice the Bassani mid length headers on a smog check.

I would be more concerned about running an off road X pipe.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I am also waiting for the Bassani headers. If I don't get them, I will get long tubes with a shorty x or h pipe.

Silver 03 Cobra

I've ran BBK LT's on my 01 vert and I have JBA 1 5/8 on my 03. You will be fine on clearance if you do not lower your car more than 1.5 inches. You have to be carefull though.

I installed a set of BBK LT's on a buddies 03 a couple of months ago. We dynoed on the same Dynojet. Below are our mods and power at the time we dynoed:

My buddies 03: BBK LT's, BBK o/r h-pipe, Flowmaster catback, JL CAI - 427 rwhp, 411 rwt.

My 03: JBA 1 5/8, Bassani o/r x-pipe, Bassani catback, K&N air filter in the stock air box and no silencer, 4.10 gears - 411/400

The reason I mentioned the gears is because they will pull 5-10 rwhp off a dyno reading. I later added a 9 in conical filter and dynoed and that filter by itself picked up 13 rwhp over my previuos set up. Based on these differences I would say both the JBA and BBK headers are pretty close. Installation on the JBA's or BBK's are exactly the same degree of difficulty with the k-member off. I would think shorties would be easier to install working around the k-member. I would never install a set working aound the k-member. Install time by dropping the k-member working on the floor is 8-9 hours one person. I do header installs for $300.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I am also waiting for the Bassani headers. If I don't get them, I will get long tubes with a shorty x or h pipe.

Wouldn't you just use your existing Bassani X pipe since it is set up for long tube headers? Assuming you have the 03 X pipe.

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
Silver03Snake, if those BBK headers were sized to fit the '03 exhaust port properly like the JDM/Kooks headers, don't you think the gain would have been noticeably greater than the shorties?

Silver 03 Cobra

I wished I had looked at the port openings in the heads when I did the installs. I'm sure that may help. I haven't seen any head to head comparos with the other brands. The JBA openings are pretty large and are rounded. The reason I observed them is the weld actually burned through the pipes. They look fine. They are a quailty part except for one thing. They use bolts in flanges instead of studs and when you change out you x-pipe, the passenger side is a royal PITA. I was smart enough to go ahead and drop the bolts in the flanges before I bolted them up. Another problem is the bolt head is next to the collector. I took a box end and bent it in a 90 degree angle and then ground off some of the box so it would slip on the bolt head and hang there. That's why i sould go with LT's if I did it again for that reason. I like to change back to cats when I'm not racing. Cuts donw on the attention from cops. What used to take 45 minutes now takes 2-3 hours although I'm getting a little better with practise.

Last edited by a moderator:

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Wow right on guys I appreciate all the info. Guess since I'm not a drag racer Per se I will just be happy with the cai and the Borla catback. The catback should be in this week yahooooooooo I decided on a UPR CAI anyone got any good results with the UPR CAI ??

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
fakesnake--correct me if I am wrong but, as far as I know, long tube headers will not fit on the 03 bassani Xpipe. That is why the bassani headers will be a mid-length type.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I'll find out. I'm picking up my car from Bassani tomorrow. They are test fitting the headers on my car as we speak.

THey mentioned the header is turning out to be more of a long tube header versus a mid length.

ObieFox

Established Member
The other issue with long tubes I think, is that it is impossible to drop the tranny for any reason without removing the headers. This is a PITA.

KO

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by fakesnake.com
I'll find out. I'm picking up my car from Bassani tomorrow. They are test fitting the headers on my car as we speak.

THey mentioned the header is turning out to be more of a long tube header versus a mid length.

Pics please?!?!?! ...when you can of course.

Rob Raymer

Established Member
Originally posted by ObieFox
The other issue with long tubes I think, is that it is impossible to drop the tranny for any reason without removing the headers. This is a PITA.

KO

Actually, we were able to pull the trans without removing the headers or 3" exhaust system. We didn't even loosen the bolts. On a lift, it was a 45 minute job getting the clutch out.

And that was with QMP 1 3/4" primary full length headers, 3" collectors, and QMP 3" exhaust with x-pipe.

But I can't say if that's possible with other manufacturers headers or not.

Just a little fyi...

Users who are viewing this thread