Should the factory set the price??

94SHO

Established Member
Yea I do,but it will never happen.I talked to a guy,his family owns a dealership!They said the going price is going to be around 300k now.That is just crazy,160k markup.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
According to what I just read on Blue Oval News .com (a thread about the 2007 Cobra and Lightning), the law protects the dealers in setting the price of vehicles they sell. FMCO doesn't like this (they even said Ferrari has to endure this as well) one bit, but they've got no say in it.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
sid297, Yes, the market sets the price, but Ford cannot tell dealers that they must sell for list price. Dealers are free to charge what the market will bear. That is the law.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Ford could pull it's licenses from any dealersahip charging those mark-ups. Ford could elect to NOT SELL those vehicles to dealerships that are gouging. There are some things Ford could do to prevent this legally. I doubt they will though. I think it stonks also. However, if somebody is stupid enough to pay 2 or 3 times the plainly marked MSRP window sticker, what can ya do?

inVision

Established Member
I agree, just as the market will raise the price above sticker, it will also DROP the price below sticker...

SVT4ME

Established Member
Plus why would Ford step in. They make a car and give it to a dealer that has the bourdon of selling it. One GT40 markup to make up for all the Cobra's stuck on the lot.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I doubt the Cobras would be setting on the lot if they hadn't tried the gouging mark-up shit for the 03's. Then along comes the 04's and people just said to hell with it. Now the new 05 Stangs are coming, you bet the 04's are gonna be setting. It wouldn't be a burden to sell any of the Cobras they had left, if they hadn't hurt the customers trust by trying to gouge more than MSRP out of them.

Yeah the market sets the price. Ford already priced the car in the market it is in competition with! When a dealer asks twice the MSRP window sticker, that is just the worst form of greed. Porshce, BMW,Mercedes,Ferrari, none of them pull this shit. What is on the MSRP sticker is what you pay. So Ford finally pulls their collective head out of their ass and makes a car worth their sticker. Does that mean the consumer should have to shell out more since they finally got one right? If that's how they play it fine. There will be a 911 in my driveway instead of another Ford.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT4ME
Plus why would Ford step in. They make a car and give it to a dealer that has the bourdon of selling it. One GT40 markup to make up for all the Cobra's stuck on the lot.
WELL PUT!! the markup is gonna be whatever it takes to sell the car. i would not be surprised if it goes up to 600k. we have 1 sold already. for the amount of 450k:eek:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by bbp42d
WELL PUT!! the markup is gonna be whatever it takes to sell the car. i would not be surprised if it goes up to 600k. we have 1 sold already. for the amount of 450k:eek:

So what was the invoice on that car again?

Just makes my trip to Hendrick Porsche that much easier. I mean I fell in love with th GT as soon as they brought it back, but dealers with this mentality have burned my bridge with Ford. Atleast in the 911 I'll have a backseat and a racing history that spans decade after decade.:rockon:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
So what was the invoice on that car again?

Just makes my trip to Hendrick Porsche that much easier. I mean I fell in love with th GT as soon as they brought it back, but dealers with this mentality have burned my bridge with Ford. Atleast in the 911 I'll have a backseat and a racing history that spans decade after decade.:rockon:
the 911 is 1 of the best cars for the money. 1 more thing, 1st yr run vehicles are notorious for problems as well. the 911 has been a strong and proven runner for a looooonnnnnngggg time. plus if some one wants to spend 450k of there $$$$ is their decision. me , hell no. i wouldnt spend that on a car:nonono:

WorldTour

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
Porshce, BMW,Mercedes,Ferrari, none of them pull this shit. What is on the MSRP sticker is what you pay.

Tell that to the guys paying 1.2 million for an Enzo that has a MSRP of just over 600k or the places asking over 800k for the new Porsche Carerra GT...

-Mark

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Guess they need to come to Charlotte NC and ask Rick Hendrick to order it for them then. I didn't even pay sticker for the Porsche we have now. It was bought brand new. I guess it just proves because some folks have money, it doesn't mean they have sense, in the case of anyone paying over sticker for ANY car. Ofcourse that is just how I feel about it.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
My friend's dad shopped around for his 2004 911 996 Turbo X50. Basically, don't ever let the popularity of a sportscar, i.e. a Porsche, make you skip asking for a discount. Your dealer might be willing to play ball, maybe not, but it certainly can't hurt.

usrodeo4

Established Member
I agree with Eric, let the market set the price. If you have people standing in line to pay 400K and you sell it to the first guy in line for 145K, it'll just be sold the next day anyway, or a lot of them would anyway. Then you'd have speculators buying them up. You can set the price or the supply, not both...econ101. Here's one on ebay that's at 200K with 1 day to go. I want to see how it finishes. 600k, that is so funny...you'd have to be not so shrewd to do that, or filthy rich and not care. What are the real ones worth? 800 or mill plus? I know holman moody still has the GT-40 name and about a year ago they were selling w/427 side oiler mark II specs for 650+.

Users who are viewing this thread