Side By Side With Friend's CBR600!!!!!

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Hey guys,,,my friend and I were cruisin tonight and we decided to try a few friendly high speed runs. He has a 2002 Honda CBR600F4I with a Two Brothers exhaust GP shift and other mods. He is an excellent rider and has riden all his life. So we find a nice long stretch of road (no cars of course) and we were doing about 40mph. I was in second gear at about 3500-4000 rpms which all you know is the sweet spot when you punch it :) . So he looks at me and downshifts and I punch it at the same time. We both took off and were pretty much front bumper to his front tire all the way to the end of my fourth gear. We did this 3 times and each time it was the same except for one time I missed third and he took off. I was surprised how well my car did. I know if we would have raced off the line he would have taken me no prob. He told me each time he gave it all he had and he said that he has never raced anybody who gave him a working like I did (cars at least). I know a 600 is a little weak but he does have some mods. It is a fast bike for sure. I cant wait to get the pulley, chip and x pipe! Anyone had any encounters with street bikes?

Last edited:

BBriBro

Established Member
I'm not so sure he would take you from a dead stop. I have seen plenty of average riders on street bikes not do so good at the track, they are tricky to launch. They either wheelie off the start, or launch real weak, and then take off, its hard to get it just right. If he is a good rider though, and knows how to launch it well, then he would take you.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
I know a 600 is a little weak but he does have some mods. It is a fast bike for sure. I cant wait to get the pulley, chip and x pipe! Anyone had any encounters with street bikes?

Well, 600s are not weak as long as you keep them on the cams. The old 600s were down on power, but the new F4i has as much power as my old Ninja literbike from the late eighties...plus it's only about 250 lbs lighter.

If you kept up with him you did well. :coolman:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Nice race ryan. I have had a few encounters with some bikes, for some reason they love to pick on mustangs over here! I hate it, I only raced two of them and I lost to one and tied the other. (this was in my 98GT) then the other 3 or 4 bikes I didn't race because they were really fast and I knew it was pointless. Its ok, all that will change soon I hope........

fast-toys

Established Member
This Cobra is actually my first fast car. I had been roadracing motorcycles until recently. But, we just had a kid and the bikes had to go. Still, I needed something for my speed fix. But in comparing the two, my supersport (97 GSXR750) was quicker than the Cobra, at least to ~75. Then I think the Cobra is quicker. Still, I am impressed so far and think that with a few mods it should be closer still. (But it probably will still not hit like my two-stroke Aprilia did on the pipe:))

mosconiac

Established Member
Speaking of motorcycles wanting to race Cobras...

I've had two Harley dudes run me in my '03. One solo, the other with his "Old Lady". Neither stood a chance, but it was fun. Those cackling Harley's fading in the mirrors is a nice visual/aural experience.

ZXnVS

Established Member
I got an education this weekend. I've got a ZX-11 (1100cc sportbike, king of the hill until the Hayabusa came along) and I've never even had to break a sweat to beat anything I've encountered on the street. Satuday night I took it to the local drag strip for the first time ever, and found out I can't launch worth a damn! My best run was a [email protected] (this is on a 1/8th mile strip). I know the bike's capable of a lot more, but I need some work.

Users who are viewing this thread