Slip the clutch - Don't slip the clutch ?

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
Now I'm confused, should you slip the clutch to avoid wheel hop, which would be hard on the clutch right ? or just launch @ lower RPM's and dump the clutch ? I have even heard guys saying they launch from idle.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I seem to be hearing people "squeezing" into the gas at a steady rate having more luck than simply stomping on it at any given speed. I know that I had my one and only wheel hop occur at the top of first gear after stomping on it from a roll. It bit hard and took off, then hopped right before my shift to second.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
My best 60' times are rolling onto the throttle from just off idle.

My best 60' times are well short of the guys who slip the clutch and launch at higher RPMs though. My personal best is a 2.03 on fairly bad track, there are guys on this board who claim 1.8s also at bad tracks. I don't want to put a new clutch in the car just yet though.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I think my sig pic says it all. I slip the clutch but then again I've already gone through 2 OEM clutches and had my tranny rebuilt. And BTW wheel hop can happen regardless of the launch rpm, it's all part of the risk we take when we race our cars ;-)

stangin

Established Member
Launch

I like my clutch so I want to try to not slip it at all or just a little bit slightly above idle on a launch. Seems to work ok on the street, but we will see on the track. Wheel hop is so bad for a car, I have broken rear ends wheel hoping before. I even heard that people racing with no rear end vibration and getting a lot of wheel hop due to launches develope the rear end vibration, even after having it fixed get the vibration back after a good wheel hop. I am going to try variations of the idle or slightly off idle type launch and try not to spin the wheels or slip the clutch. Its up to you though, but I dont ever want to develope the vibration if it is true from too much wheel hop.

My car starts to hop in first at about 5500 or 6000 rpm under full throttle just before I shift into second, with the stock tires since the mods. It did not break the rear tires loose like that at high rpm's in first and hop before the mods. Im making 439 rwhp now and feels a whole lot faster so I must be making quite a bit more power than I was. Im going to try the Nitto's and see if that does not stop the high rpm hop in first gear.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by darkcrayz
I am lost what exactly does slip the clutch mean.

Basically when you launch you don't take your foot off the clutch although you're giving it plenty of throttle as to not need the clutch. Then you continue to ride the clutch out until you've reached full throttle, usually only done in 1st gear to prevent wheel spin.

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
I just rev a little above idle and mash it. I don't break traction ever. I beat a lot of guys out of the hole all the time by them frying thier tires. It is a gentle art feathering the clutch but i am not a big fan of glazing or burning up a clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread