small pulley + predator dilema??

indycobra

Established Member
Hello everyone,
I have read post after post and almost all say you must get a custom tune with a smaller pulley. So my question is what is the advantage of having this predator programmer if i dont have both the knowledge and dyno machine to properly program it? Im going to have to take it to a pro to program it so why not save the money and just buy the chip. I already purchased the predator so basically how does a pro tuner tune my car. Does he just alter my a/f ratio and timing off of the pulley tunes already installed on the programmer. Im confused. Thanks for any responce.:??:

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by indycobra
what is the advantage of having this predator programmer if i dont have both the knowledge and dyno machine to properly program it?

That IS the advantage of the predator. For most people, with typical mods, there is no NEED for a dynotune. Simply put the pulley on, and download the program into the ECU and go!

BUT... change the mods beyond the basic stuff and a dynotune is recommended. Why? Because you need to be very careful of air/fuel ratios on these supercharged motors. The predator allows some adjustment of timing and fuel, although it's nowhere near a custom tune.

cobra101

Established Member
Good questions.

First, the predator does work on most pulley applications and just near all performance tunes (I haven't seen any performance tunes detonating). But some do get det. usually by either a small pulley, bad gas, or a combo of these and certain mods.

In the event you need a custom tune it is a little easier with the predator. It can either be emailed or pre-programmed into your predator before you buy it.

If you dyno tune, they basically program your predator with a file created/modified on the revolution software. Then they dyno and check it, make tweeks to the tune, reload predator with it, flash and dyno again.

Overall, if you don't want to open your computer and unseal it or be bothered with mail-order chips and the problems associated with it, than the predator is a good option. It also has some good data logging abilities.

If I had to do over, I would of bought my predator with a custom tune in it already. It would be made based on my mods and bad CA gas. I believe runnninwiththedevil.com and amazonracing.com sell them and they also do custom tunes for it. RWTD offers free custom tunes when you buy it from them. I don't know what amazon charges, if at all.

You can also buy it from a local dyno tuner and get a dyno tune. They offer good deals on the predator if you buy it and get a dyno tune from them.

Well, that's my take on it. Good Luck.

Ps. Regardless of the situation and mod decisions, you MUST put it on a dyno at some point after to make sure it is safe. This is a strong point for a dyno tune becuase you do it all in one shot.

Last edited:

Fang

Established Member
I hope that isn't the case. Do you mean that if I install the 2.8 and use the Predator on the pulley tune that it will not be sufficient for a tune? Is this true data or just hearsay? I have the pulley coming and I am already using the Predator. Do most dyno guys know how to do tunes while on the dyno?

indycobra

Established Member
Thanks for all the great responces.

So with a mildly modified cobra, including a 2.9 pulley, densecharger cai, magnaflow cat-back and catted xpipe, and accufab throttle body, should I be able to use the pulley tune originally written on the predator. Are these considered mild mods? How much $$ is it typically for a dyno session and pro tune?

cobra93teal

Psycho Pilot Racing
Established Member
i have a 280 pulley and predator...no ping...good gas(93) and -4 deg tim and 6%rich no probs.......will take to a dyno soon to check for sure but with the right tinkering it can work(to a limit)

cobra101

Established Member
Well, it is not hearsay. I have heard of some that pinged with a 3.2 and exhaust. They were able to get rid of it with the adjustments in the predator. For us with 2.8s and 2.75s, it all depends. every car is different. What kinda gas are you guys using (Indy and Fang)?

Either way, you will have to get a dyno to check it. If you are worried about it than get a custom tune file for the predator from your diablo dealer (wherever you bought it) right off the bat. They can make it work better and tune it for your mods and octane gasoline.

Most using 2.93s and higher have no problems. Some with 2.8s and lower do. Many factors involved so just be aware and get it checked on a dyno afterward. Waiting for and finding dyno days can save you some cash on dyno time.

cobra808

Established Member
I've got a 2.93 with Predator pulley tune and got some pinging.

Lost a bunch of HP but gained a bunch of torque. Not satisfied with tune on the Predator. May have to get a custom tune or change back to a 3.2 pulley.

Wc

Fang

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra101
Well, it is not hearsay. I have heard of some that pinged with a 3.2 and exhaust. They were able to get rid of it with the adjustments in the predator. For us with 2.8s and 2.75s, it all depends. every car is different. What kinda gas are you guys using (Indy and Fang)?

Either way, you will have to get a dyno to check it. If you are worried about it than get a custom tune file for the predator from your diablo dealer (wherever you bought it) right off the bat. They can make it work better and tune it for your mods and octane gasoline.

Most using 2.93s and higher have no problems. Some with 2.8s and lower do. Many factors involved so just be aware and get it checked on a dyno afterward. Waiting for and finding dyno days can save you some cash on dyno time.

Here in Colorado the best local gas is 91. Should that be an issue with 2.80 and Predator?

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by Fang
Here in Colorado the best local gas is 91. Should that be an issue with 2.80 and Predator?

With the California guys is seems to be. Most have to retard their timing and richen it up.

I've been told the Predator's tunes aren't designed to run on 91 octane. They're setup for 93.

Then again, there's the option of a custom predator tune. I'm unsure if there are many different ones out there.

:shrug:

rb185afm

Established Member
I am in Ca. I had to get a custom tune with my Predater as even after pulling all of the timming I could I was still pinging. But the custom tune is easy. The guys at runninwiththedevil emailed me a tune and it worked great. This is on a 2.8 pulley btw. But I still am making geat power and I have my timming pulled to a max of 21 degrees at WOT.

cobra101

Established Member
rb185afm,

1. Is your timing pulled to the max through your own predator adjustments (after the custom tune file) OR Is it pulled from your custom tune file alone?

2. DO you have stock exhaust as well?

3. Were you pig rich after 5k rpm or was your a/f perfect?

Could you PM or email the tune file you got?

I could use one because I am pig rich up top. I guess I would have to export my custom tune from the predator to my laptop before I import a new custom tune.

thanks for any info.

I am in CA also

indycobra

Established Member
It sounds to me like I should have saved a little $$ and bought the chip instead of the predator. If im reading everyone right the only safe way to tune your car is by having it tuned on a dyno by a professional. Most dyno tuners can program via chip just as easy as a predator so where is the benifit of the predator? It sounds to me like this thing is pretty much useless unless you want to guess on a tune and cross your fingers. Unless you bought it for the diagnostic capabilities. I guess when I bought it I figured that I could take care of the tunes myself. I should have read more.

lifter213

Established Member
The Predator IS the same as a chip. Just loaded onto the car differently. If you had a chip you would still have to get burned and mailed to you then have it dyno'd to check it. Just callup whoever sold you the Predator and tell them you want a custom tune for your mods. With the Predator it is done all via internet, not snail mail like the chip. And you would then have the same tune just like you would with a chip. I've read tons of posts of people that have chips and have to keep sending them back to get the right tune. That kinda stuff happens. :shrug:

Juiced-03

Established Member
I have the 2.80 on CA gas with the Predator tune. I have all of the timing pulled out and 7% rich on the fuel. No pinging either. Runs much better than the Amazon tuned chip I was running. Dyno numbers soon along with nitrous numbers as well.

rb185afm

Established Member
1. I pulled max timing with the stock predator tune and it was still pinging bad. After the custom tune I did not need to adjust the timing. I like the predator better than a chip because if you think about it is still cold outside. In the summer under load I may still get some detonation. I can still pull 2 degrees of timing if I have to.

2. I have a cat back. Magna Pacs.

3. Yes, I still need to fine tune my A/F. The problem with the predator when adjusting A/F is it does it across the board. I was rich up top and a little lean down low. When I leaned out the A/F it did it across the board at all RPM's. I still need to put my car back on the dyno to get a fine tune on my A/F. So I dont have my completed tune yet. I plan on getting my car back on the dyno this Monday.

BTW my first tune was just to pull the timing. My only time on the dyno was done without a tach lead so I was unable to give James all the info to adjust my A/F.

Originally posted by cobra101
rb185afm,

1. Is your timing pulled to the max through your own predator adjustments (after the custom tune file) OR Is it pulled from your custom tune file alone?

2. DO you have stock exhaust as well?

3. Were you pig rich after 5k rpm or was your a/f perfect?

Could you PM or email the tune file you got?

I could use one because I am pig rich up top. I guess I would have to export my custom tune from the predator to my laptop before I import a new custom tune.

thanks for any info.

I am in CA also

Users who are viewing this thread