Some news from Shelby America regarding the GT500 and 2013 SS

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Two friends of mine have 2013s on order, one getting his any day now and the other planning on making his a SS. He just texted me the email and said some other things that Shelby America told him.

To summarize, as some have said earlier the package is still under development but in reality they're not even completely sure of what to modify yet as the current GT500 is about 70% of what they offer on the 2012 SS. There's probably going to be 2 packages with one being primarily aesthetics and the other the performance minded. Also, they are not expecting any significant price changes.

It's not anything truly significant but I think it says a lot about how much Ford put into the 2013 that Shelby isn't even sure what to change. I'm sure it will get the KB like usual with a significant power increase and of course the appearance mods but as far as suspension and brakes and such they're not sure. It will be interesting to see what they end up doing when it comes out and as it stands he's the first on the list if he decides to get a SS.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like SS brake lines, cooling ducts, and some STICKY ASS tires are in line.

C6Z06427

Established Member
According to the latest MT results around Laguna Seca, might want to add some cooling ducts for the brakes. a ceramic rotor option would be cool too

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
According to the latest MT results around Laguna Seca, might want to add some cooling ducts for the brakes. a ceramic rotor option would be cool too
that's the first report we've had of brake fade on the '13, i'll take a wait and see approach on that one.
but, yea, ceramics would be awesome!!!

BossAnaki

Established Member
that's the first report we've had of brake fade on the '13, i'll take a wait and see approach on that one.
but, yea, ceramics would be awesome!!!

Not worth the money. My friend had them on his GTR and now they're junk. He goes to Road America a few times a year along with some other mid-west open track days. He spent $20 grand at Stillen for these and they didn't even hold up a full year. He also didn't find that the breaking or fade threshold to be any better than the factory rotors.

He has since returned to the original factory rotors that have held up with zero problems. He has also sent back the ceramics and is waiting for some type of resolution or refund, which he may never see.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Not worth the money.

...didn't find that the breaking [sic] or fade threshold to be any better than the factory rotors.

There's a misconception that carbon ceramics somehow work better than regular rotors. Truth is, until they get some heat in them, they actually work worse than regular rotors. The big advantage of carbon ceramics is that they dissipate heat way faster than regular rotors. That, in turn, means little (or no) brake fade under heavy use.

I imagine some SS brake lines and high-temp brake fluid would negate any advantage carbon ceramics would have over a regular set of rotors.

BossAnaki

Established Member
There's a misconception that carbon ceramics somehow work better than regular rotors. Truth is, until they get some heat in them, they actually work worse than regular rotors. The big advantage of carbon ceramics is that they dissipate heat way faster than regular rotors. That, in turn, means little (or no) brake fade under heavy use.

I imagine some SS brake lines and high-temp brake fluid would negate any advantage carbon ceramics would have over a regular set of rotors.

No misconception here. Road America is a very fast 4.048-mile 14-turn track, If there is a track that will put heat into a braking system this is one that will do it. Like I said before, the on track performace of the carbon ceramics in this case showed no sign of improved braking.

HumanWiki

Established Member
I ran RA in my Camaro and it did a number on Pads, Fluids and Rotors... Even with my modded pieces, I was still heating them up a lot.. Enough so that the refinished lobe on my wheel actually bubbled up paint.

Don't under estimate RA's ability to chew through your braking system like it was nothing.

ReapeR948

FOXDIE
Established Member
900 hp, pricey interior bits and hood... and some alcoa wheels....AWESOME! Oh wait, the car can't stick to the floor, completely useless power.... and it's how much more? I'll pass and just modify my 13 ....

jes_csx

Established Member
I wish they would lose the trinkets and concentrate on the one thing this car could really benefit from... weight loss.
Unfortunately badges and trinkets are what sells these cars.

VaporDude

Established Member
I would never send any car to SA. The fit and finish is not all that great. I know somone that got one of the GT350's and there was a bunch of things wrong with it and there are things that could have been engineered better. Besides, they just want too much money for what you get.

Users who are viewing this thread