Sound Tube Removal

RC-5.0

Established Member
Wanted to do this, and Im sure at the end it's very simple, but knowing my luck I will screw something up. In the picture, does this entire piece get removed? Not sure what that is..it's bolted to the frame.

I thought the sound tube just went directly into the firewall. Is there something to cap off the opening at either end?

Thanks
RC

SoundTube_zps5e9be047.jpg

Nuar

Established Member
That part has two foam inserts that baffle some of the sound. Its part of the sound tube assembly.

Cobra 2997

Established Member
Look at Cooltechllc.com , I think they may have instructions on their site. They have a kit they sell for the removal of it. I think it's like 10 bucks but you can buy what you need at Home Depot.

Takes all of 5 mins to remove it, did mine tonight.

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
What exactly is the point of removing it?

Personally, I think its ugly. It doesn't actually do anything to improve any performance aspect of the vehicle. All it is intended to do is bring a little bit of engine noise into the cabin.

I removed mine when I installed my CAI. It already came with the rubber cap on the CAI tube. I just pulled out the sound tube and used a small square of black duct tape to cover the hole in the firewall. Now, you couldn't even see it if I pointed it out.

CamaroDave

Established Member
Makes it louder without doing anything to help performance or anything? Mine will stay then, thanks.

RC-5.0

Established Member

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Mine was removed during my paxton install and my engine sounds much better under load then it did wen it was hooked up. Those sounds belong outside the vehicle not piped into the vehical. I never understood why they did that. Its more a gimmick then anything else!

Hugerush

Established Member
Also the piece you circled is in the way when installing Redline hood struts and must either be relocated to below the lip of the fender (as it appears the one in your photo has been) or removed. As the relo looks a little jury rigged, I think removal is better.

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
I have the firewall plug and cap for airbox if your interested. BRAND-NEW. $10.00 shipped

turd burglar

Established Member
Anybody know what size cap you need? I've tried about 4 different sizes and nothing fits the intake tube.

Users who are viewing this thread