Sparkplugs & wires for supercharged '93

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
93cobra#3326 said:
[QUOTE='93blownCOBRA]I know that most people seem to need a smaller gap but I wanted a longer spark for a bit cleaner burn. When I put the MSD box on there I never had a problem. With 8lbs of boost the car runs great. The Paxton gives me good controlable upper RPM power that comes on pretty smooth.
not picking just wanna say you then my friend are out of the ordinary but hay if its not blowing out the spark than more power to ya. most of us can only run with smaller gaps. my car with 12+ psi and stock ignition i had to gap them at .028. with the crane fireball ignition. .035 + NGK iridiums 2 ranges colder.

-im not a big fan of the msd timing retard boxes. ive heard, seen many of them fail or not work, or only partially work. i had to replace my retard box and went through two knobs while the SC was in warrenty -so yea they were free. finally i just said screw it and went crane fireball ignition and never looked back. its a all around better quality piece. im not trying to start another msd discussion. (theres already plenty of them- do a search) but i wanted to share my experinces. i will not buy another msd product. they may have been good at one time but im not impressed these days -IMHO.

Same here.

only difference is I don't trust any of the timing retard boxes out there. i do all of mine through the EEC via Tweecer

NEOH1

Established Member
Update: The Autolite AP2543 is replaced with AP2544. I think I'm going to give 'em a try. They are Platinum. I'd have to order thru NAPA (and I don't like Michael Waltrip).

93cobra#3326, why did you say no platinum??????

I think my game plan needs modified. It started out, "get the supercharger installed." It should now be, "do what is necessary to prevent blowing the head gaskets."

The comments about not trusting the MSD or Crane boost retards are making me pretty nervous. I could probably squeeze one of those in the budget, but probably not the Interceptor or Tweecer.

martyo

Established Member
Lee:

It is obvious how smart you are. That's why you didn't show up this weekend, while all of us ATL boys were standing out in the rain! :D

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
martyo said:
Lee:

It is obvious how smart you are. That's why you didn't show up this weekend, while all of us ATL boys were standing out in the rain! :D

:-D

Neilc88,

DO NOT USE Platimum plugs. If you need me to ship you some regular 2543's let me know and i will pick you up a set at my local parts store.

9T3SVT

Established Member
neilc88 said:
Update: The Autolite AP2543 is replaced with AP2544. I think I'm going to give 'em a try. They are Platinum. I'd have to order thru NAPA (and I don't like Michael Waltrip).

93cobra#3326, why did you say no platinum??????QUOTE]

Do not, I repeat do not run platinum plugs on a blown car. If you have any kind of internal issue a copper plug will melt or deteriorate before your piston. The plat plugs will keep firing until they melt a hole in your piston.

I am running an MSD 6BTM and have not had any issues. If you want to test a box all you have to do is blow air through the line and see if the timing retards itself. I know for a fact that mine works because I could hear my car detonating up top on a dyno pull, I turned the knob up and it stopped.

Blowers on a budget can be a difficult thing, if you take the proper steps before installation it will save you from a lot more work. The saying is true, "you gotta pay to play" so save up and do it right.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
9T3SVT said:
neilc88 said:

Do not, I repeat do not run platinum plugs on a blown car. If you have any kind of internal issue a copper plug will melt or deteriorate before your piston. The plat plugs will keep firing until they melt a hole in your piston...........
Blowers on a budget can be a difficult thing, if you take the proper steps before installation it will save you from a lot more work. The saying is true, "you gotta pay to play" so save up and do it right.

what he said!

Last edited:

NEOH1

Established Member
Thanks guys. I understand now, I'll go with the regular plugs (2543 or 2544). :bowdown:

Do you recommend indexing (spark on the down side) the plugs?

:burnout:

Last edited:

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
9T3SVT said:
what he said!

+2

if you can afford a retard knob -please use a crane and not a msd. percentage wise ive heard a fraction of failure from crane as to the msd. but like lee said the best way would be a tweecer or chip etc... ie. electronically so theres no mechanical parts to fail. i kept my crane knob opperable because i like the adjustability with it that i wouldnt have just with my chip. i wanted to go the tweecer route but just didnt have the time to research and effectively tune with it...i got lazy and had a chip burnt and never looked back. to each his own though. the twecer has definetly proven itself bar none with the right guy using it. hope this helps some

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
9T3SVT said:
neilc88 said:

Do not, I repeat do not run platinum plugs on a blown car. If you have any kind of internal issue a copper plug will melt or deteriorate before your piston. The plat plugs will keep firing until they melt a hole in your piston.

I am running an MSD 6BTM and have not had any issues. If you want to test a box all you have to do is blow air through the line and see if the timing retards itself. I know for a fact that mine works because I could hear my car detonating up top on a dyno pull, I turned the knob up and it stopped.

I can testify to his too. Ihave had my setup going strong for years with no troubel what so ever. I can even dial in more timing with the MSD box (control knob) at the track when I feel the need to run good high octane racing fuel too. Nice info on the plugs BTW - makes perfectly good sense.

blown...

Users who are viewing this thread