Spree! (or other SSR experts)

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Hey, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask a question..

Can SSR 1 on a polishing pad leave minor spider webbing? No matter how many times I go over it, it appears that these TINY micromars (only visible under flourescent lights) will not go away. Should I try some SSR on a finishing pad? Thanks in advance.

Oh and one other question... How long do I spend in an area, or how fast do I move the PC around. Painstakingly slow with overlapping or at a medium pace back and forth until the SSR begins to disappear?

Juiced-03

Established Member
Try using the PC at speed 5 but this time move much slower. The PC needs time to work in the polish since it is not like a high speed rotary buffer. SSR1 may not be aggressive enough to use on your paint. You may need to use SSR2 or 2.5 to get them out, then follow up with SSR1. I always use a high speed buffer to get out my swirls and scratches, and use the PC to apply my finishing polish, so I guess I can't really comment on your approach with the PC.

spree

Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Try using the PC at speed 5 but this time move much slower. The PC needs time to work in the polish since it is not like a high speed rotary buffer. SSR1 may not be aggressive enough to use on your paint. You may need to use SSR2 or 2.5 to get them out, then follow up with SSR1. I always use a high speed buffer to get out my swirls and scratches, and use the PC to apply my finishing polish, so I guess I can't really comment on your approach with the PC.

what he said. Start it off at about 2-3, crank it up to 4-5 until it virtually disappears.

Juiced-03

Established Member
foofinator said:
Thanks guys! So what you're saying is that SSR 1 should not leave behind any micromarring?

It will not leave behined any marring. It also won't remove a lot of marring if it is more severe. I would bet it is your washing or drying technique that is leaving behind this marring. I had the same problem. I can really see my marring in my garage, but not so bad when it is on my driveway.

You may also want to check your pad, and make sure it is very clean with no debris. You never know what might be on it. Have you ever clayed your car? Sometime clay can leave micromarring, and it may need to be deep polished to remove them. Our clear coat is really hard in my opinion and I have found myself spending hours just polishing the paint. Often times a light polish won't even touch my scratches or marring. I have to go more aggressive in pad and polish choices. It comes out, but just not as easily as some cars I have worked on. But we all know how easy our cars are to marr, sratch, and swirl!! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread