Steeda Boss 302 Mustang Power Pack

racermatt

Established Member
Want more power for your Boss 302 Mustang? Steeda has what you need.

Much like the 5.0L GT, the Boss Mustang also benefits from improved airflow and computer calibration changes.

Combined with Steeda’s cold air intake and custom tuned SCT device on 93 octane we achieved a peak increase of 27 horsepower and point to point increases of as much as 29 horsepower. Peak torque increased 22 ft/lbs with max point to point increases of 24 ft/lbs. Throttle response and driveability greatly improve as well for a very fun to drive package.

This is the same package we use on the 5.0L GT Mustangs shown here: 2011 2012 Mustang Power Pak Kit 555-3935 555-3936 but calibrated specifically for the Boss Mustang.

Here is a dyno sheet of the gains:

Boss30293octBoneStockVSCAITune.jpg

Forum members get reduced pricing over the pricing shown on the website. Please PM me for forum member pricing if interested. We will need your 4 digit processor code off your vehicle to calibrate the SCT tuning device. If you have questions on how to find this code we will gladly assist you with that.

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
How much better is this intake as compared to the JLT.

From what I have seen on others cars the JLT fits poorly and pops off under engine movement.....

Any gains in HP from the two intakes?

Mike

GNSNAKE

Established Member
Racermat

I will be at pony wars can we do a back to back test of your c a i and tune to see true gains it is now stock.:beer:

rob

Gus from Steeda

Established Member
How much better is this intake as compared to the JLT.

From what I have seen on others cars the JLT fits poorly and pops off under engine movement.....

Any gains in HP from the two intakes?

Mike

I don't have data on a Boss setup between the different intakes, but I do have a test we did on a 5.0L GT setup that involved the JLT, Steeda, and Airaid intakes we published on other forums. It was basically done to answer the question everyone always seems to ask. Which intake is better?

The answer was, all of them were good and you couldnt go wrong with any of them. Your choice should basically come down to what you like best.

This test was done on the same car, same day, same dyno, etc, to keep the data valid.

The tunes for this test were setup so timing and fuel were completely stable & consistent, so the differences between just the cold air systems themselves would be revealed. We did not have a stock intake for this car to test, so we baselined the Steeda system with tuning, then swapped each intake, modified the tune to accomodate each intake and made another pull.

Here are the results of that test:

STEEDAVSJLTVSAIRAIDINTAKES.jpg

As you can see, you really can't go wrong with any of these intake systems. They all make comparable levels of horsepower and torque across the entire RPM range.

Due to its size the JLT trades off a little bit of low end torque, however to the average user this difference would likely not be perceptible. Any of these intakes given the same tuning will essentially feel and perform about the same. I am sure some of the JLT's torque loss down low could be minimized with further tuning, but that was not the intent for this test and would have skewed the results.

As for fitment I cant speak for the JLT popping off, but ours does have an angle to it also when you install it as well since it was designed for a GT, so far we have not had any reports of ours popping off, just reports that it can be a bit of a chore to install due to the angle, but it does fit fine and stays on.

Here is a picture of it on installed.

BossIntake4-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread