Stock brake pads

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
With stock brake pads, is anyone slse getting really bad brake dust? Is there a certain aftermarket pad that shouold be put on (ie. performace friction) that would help prevent so much brake dust from building up on the wheels?

nduction03

Established Member
Originally posted by NMRAcer
With stock brake pads, is anyone slse getting really bad brake dust? Is there a certain aftermarket pad that shouold be put on (ie. performace friction) that would help prevent so much brake dust from building up on the wheels?

Lower amounts of brake dust USUALLY equals harder pads, which USUALLY equals less performance. IMHO I say give me the dust and the shorter stopping distance. My 99 M3 had terrible amounts of brake dust, but man could it stop on a dime.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I agree. Softer pads do help stop your beast faster and wear quicker. The factory rear pads, I believe, have some carbon material in the mixture which when worn leaves black dust all over the rear of the car. I switched over to Raybestos PG Plus pads which don't dust nearly as much but also don't stop the car as well as the factory pads. Is the tradeoff worth it? I would use factory pads if you drive aggressively but if you are driving like "Miss Daisy" as I do then the aftermarket pads like Raybestos are the ticket for cleanliness.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by 2003 Cobra
I agree. Softer pads do help stop your beast faster and wear quicker. The factory rear pads, I believe, have some carbon material in the mixture which when worn leaves black dust all over the rear of the car. I switched over to Raybestos PG Plus pads which don't dust nearly as much but also don't stop the car as well as the factory pads. Is the tradeoff worth it? I would use factory pads if you drive aggressively but if you are driving like "Miss Daisy" as I do then the aftermarket pads like Raybestos are the ticket for cleanliness.

You are a brave man...admitting to driving like Miss Daisy is an act of courage on this Forum that leaves me speechless, other than to say....

"Put your foot down, for cryin out loud - this is not a Camry!".

End of rant.:beer:

CWCobra

Established Member
I've got lots 'o dust...AND worn out rear pads after only 6,500 miles. Soft pads stop better, but REALLY wear out fast! This is the first time I have had to replace pads before tires, and I've prolly had 20 hi-perf cars over the last 30 years. Oh well...it's just another price to pay to play.
Later, and stop safely,
CW

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
Thx for the info guys. I wouldn't say i drive like Miss Daisy, but I dont drive on any road courses either. I'll try the harder pads, I,m tired of cleaning my wheels every day.

Users who are viewing this thread