Stock Halfshafts Life

Spud04

Established Member
I am about to be purchasing a '03 Black cobra coupe, and my buddy marc (redaddiction) told me about halfshafts breakin easy from numerous hard launches. So basically I was just wondering how long they usally last on f1's, nittos, and slicks.

Thanks.

Oh and what aftermarket ones are there that are more durable?
I would like something to set up for good 60's, even with the IRS, something that wouldn't go quite easy, pro star's with some hooser slicks. Lol, i'm a auto guy, so I know how big the 60's mean to the e.t.

Thanks.

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Of course one can only speak from their experience but I found the stock half-shafts to be unbreakable so far. Wheel hop is the biggest problem but I use to have some bad hop on the street and track and that didn't break them either. Over 100 runs on a drag strip, about half of those using slicks.

I think preventing differential deflection is the key to keeping the half-shafts in good shape and after doing that I have not had any fear repeatedly throwing all the torque the drive train has at the half-shafts. From what I have seen at least 1.6 60 foot times with the T-56 are within the capability of the stock half-shafts.

Wild Bill

Established Member
Im going to upgrade eventually,but no probs so far.I have dripped a little fluid after some wheel hop.I should get it checked out.Is that normal?

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by Wild Bill
Im going to upgrade eventually,but no probs so far.I have dripped a little fluid after some wheel hop.I should get it checked out.Is that normal?

On any fluid leak I would find the cause. Mine does not leak which is what I would expect to be normal on a car that, in my case, is only a year old.

Users who are viewing this thread