Strange Rumbling From H-pipe???

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Whenever I accelerate hard, or I notice it when I am cruising in 4th, or 5th gear on the interstate, when I go wot I hear an awful soundint rumbling sound comming from what I believe to be my H-pipe. The sound resonates from the area around the transmission hump. I also hear it going through all gears at WOT. It is very annoying. Is it my H-pipe or what. It also feels like my car is learching ever so slightly while this is going on. Which makes me thing that maybe it is the clutch slipping. But I just put a brand new HD king Cobra clutch in about 1 month and a Half ago. What gives. I have a BBK H-pipe with Cats. Has anyone else experienced it. Oh, yeah. I also notice it when I am just slipping the clutch out into first gear on a normal driving start.:gt:

USMCracing

Established Member
Sounds like you one of your Cats is loose. BBK cated pipe are really bad about breaking up. I had mine do the same thing on the pass. side cat. If you don't have to worry about smog checks just knock the whats left of the cats rattlling and then do the same the other one. Or if you just got the H-pipe not to long ago call BBK or who ever ordered it from and see if the will replace it. Good Luck

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by USMCracing
Sounds like you one of your Cats is loose. BBK cated pipe are really bad about breaking up. I had mine do the same thing on the pass. side cat. If you don't have to worry about smog checks just knock the whats left of the cats rattlling and then do the same the other one. Or if you just got the H-pipe not to long ago call BBK or who ever ordered it from and see if the will replace it. Good Luck

OK, but how bout this. Is it in your opinion still the cats if When I am in neutral, or have the clutch pushed in it doesn't make that noise. Did yours make the rumbling noise all of the time, or just when in gear. I am thinking maybe my clutch is screwed up or something, But I wouldn't think it would be making a deep rumbling sound though. I figured that it would be more of a squeel or other sound. What is your opinion.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I just had a new clutch put in, and a new throw out bearing two days ago.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Also, if it was my throw out bearing wouldn't it still do it if I was in neutral with the clutch engaged. I think that maybe my clutch may have been set up wrong, and is slipping. Would this couse this sound. But I went out and cruised at about 25 and pushed in the clutch, put it into 1st, released the clutch, and it bogged the motor down with no sign of slipping, and I can still roll the tires fairly well. The throw out bearing usually just make a high pitch squeeling nois when it is bad. Doesn't it? It only does it when i am driving, and only when I am accelerating. I am completely dumbfounded.:bash:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
today something new happened wich is leading me more to believe it is the "newley installed" clutch.

I was in 2nd gear, and I floored it "WOT" and as soon as I hit 4500 rpm it was like I hit my rev limeter, my car lost all of it's acceleration and learched forward, and the motor still gained RPM I think, but lost all power to the rear wheels. I believe it is the clutch, but a can't believe that a brand new King Cobra Clutch would be slipping that bad after 1 month of use. Is this typicle of a bad clutch, or is it a more seriouse problem? please someone give me input.:cuss:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Just an update. Found out what the rumbling was. My h-pipe was banging against my tranny crossmember. The reason for this was my transmission mount was desintigrated, and was cousing my tranny to bounce up and down therefore I got banged, i mean my pipe got banged, umm..you know what i mean. So I am ordering a new urethane transmission mount.

Last edited:

Sierra

Established Member
Where did you get the new urathane tranny mount?

Or crossmember?

I just installed my bbk off road H pipe 3 days ago, it had a terrible noise when I drove it, and I found finnaly that it was that as well, i have the off road version thow. I would have told you if I read this thread first..

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I got my tranny mount from 50resto.com. It was about $28 bucks, and about $35 at the local speed shop. There is a big difference. My tranny does not bounce all over the place now.

Users who are viewing this thread