Stroking a '95 Lightning

WV351_Lightning

Established Member
Hey guys, I need some help.... The Lightning has 105,000 on it right now, so I think its time for a rebuild! I am looking to get some more punch out of it for not toooooo much money. I was thinking about getting a stroker kit (393 or 408). I am leaning more towards the 408. My question to you guys is this.... Which would be more reliable and which would produce the most power. I know that the 393 will probably be the most reliable and the 408 will make the most power, but I just want some opinions from you guys. Also, I want to get a lowering kit from Steeda. It lowers the front 1" and the back 2 1/2" (I think!). I just got new tires, so would these tires work with this kit? They are the stock size tires.

Now, next question! How would this combination work against say a new Mustang GT? Or a Z-28? I know that the Z will probably still kill me, but I just want to know what you guys think about this kit.

01blkL

Established Member
Ford Motorsports has a 392 stroker that puts out 430 hp. This in a Lightning should beat up on z-28's, and GT. The key will be getting it to hook.You will be able to keep your stock tires with that combo.If you go any lower than 2-21/2 inches up front you will need to change tire size. Good luck

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
We dropped a 410 stroker in a buddys 95 Lighting and on its shakedown passes its alredy gone 12.7s @ 105+. There is much more to be had with tuning. Those LS1s dont know what hit 'em.

WV351_Lightning

Established Member
LOL, that is exactly what I want! I am gonna be sneaky about it and only tell like 2-3 friends, that way the word wont be out that the "L" is stroked.... That way, the Camaro's will think that I have a non-supercharged Lightning that is just as mean (if not meaner!) than a new one! Plus, the engine will look stock, so I can tell them that it is stock, right?! LOL

I think that I am gonna go with the 392 from Ford Motorsport. Any pro's/con's about this kit is greatly appreciated!

LLoverCrazyJay

SVT Lightning Pimp
Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome
man that is a really nice motor, why dont you put one in your 4x4 F150 :D
Sure, if you wanna pay for it, i'll need a tranny too!:D

Thanks.

P.S., i want a tremec or a very heavy duty tranny, as i might stroke it more. Pa ha ha ha!:lol1: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread