SVT Focus

RykrosGT

Established Member
Hello all...

I have a late-98 Grand Prix GTP which recently blew the rear main seal at only 41,000 miles, and I bought the darn thing from the dealer 6 months ago. :cuss:

So in the meantime whilst I find out the repair costs, I've been looking into buying a Focus. Something that would be a bit less, um, expensive to own overall *cough*.

I'm interested in the SVT model, but I was wondering if my A-Plan will apply to an SVT vehicle? and what about the $1,000 rebate? Also, finally, turbo or supercharger availability for the ZX3 and iffin-how the stock internals can handle it.

I used to own a 94 Probe GT, and I miss the handling and I want another manual tranny too. Especially interested in that 6-speed Getrag box *drool*

I hear a lot about quality issues too... but it's a sub-$20k car.
I ask these questions also because I've never purchased a brand new vehicle before... and the way it's looking, I can get something brand new with a factory warranty for a little less than I'm paying now for my car.

any imput appreciated.

Cheers!

RykrosGT

Established Member
I know of a dealer that will, a friend of a friend. I went there last year when I almost purchased a Ranger.

If I were to order the SVT, how long does it usually take to come in?

Thanks!

RC51

Get an RSX Type S, faster, better handling, more equipment, way better build quality. What more do you need to know?

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by RykrosGT
Hello all...

So in the meantime whilst I find out the repair costs, I've been looking into buying a Focus. Something that would be a bit less, um, expensive to own overall *cough*.

I'm interested in the SVT model, but I was wondering if my A-Plan will apply to an SVT vehicle? and what about the $1,000 rebate? Also, finally, turbo or supercharger availability for the ZX3 and iffin-how the stock internals can handle it.

I used to own a 94 Probe GT, and I miss the handling and I want another manual tranny too. Especially interested in that 6-speed Getrag box *drool*

I hear a lot about quality issues too... but it's a sub-$20k car.
I ask these questions also because I've never purchased a brand new vehicle before... and the way it's looking, I can get something brand new with a factory warranty for a little less than I'm paying now for my car.

any imput appreciated.

Cheers!
Selected Model Trim Level
2002 RSX Type S - 6 Speed Manual with Leather

Color Selected
Exterior: Firepepper Red Pearl
Interior: Titanium Leather

Interior Accessories Installed*
All Season Floor Mats $67.70
Aluminum Shift Knob 6MT $72.10

Exterior Accessories Installed*
Moonroof Visor $120.10
Engine Block Heater $88.20
Fog Lights $457.50
Wing Spoiler $405.20
Side Under Body Spoiler $511.60
Rear Under Body Spoiler $397.00
16 inch Machine Finish 7-Spoke Alloy Wheels $952.40

MSRP $23,170.00
Destination Charge $480.00
Total Accessories (Estimated) $3,071.80
Total Vehicle Price $26,721.80

Obviously RC wasn't reading. Sub 20K RC Sub 20K. He might have a budget issue.

Yes I will sel on A-Plan and have it drop shipped to you at a cost from that dealership. The $1000 rebate will not apply since it is not extended to the SVT Focus.

RC51

Re: Re: SVT Focus

Originally posted by tommylightning

Obviously RC wasn't reading. Sub 20K RC Sub 20K. He might have a budget issue.

Yes I will sel on A-Plan and have it drop shipped to you at a cost from that dealership. The $1000 rebate will not apply since it is not extended to the SVT Focus.

Obviously, neither were you. He said he was concerned about quality b/c it's a sub 20k car, no where did he say that his new car had to be sub 20k.

Anyway, you should consider leasing a car (if you haven't already.) The payments are lower, and if you don't like the car, you give it back at the end.

RykrosGT

Established Member
I was concerned about quality because it was a sub-$20k car, and I wanted to know how the quality was FOR that car. So actually, both of you were wrong.

I am not interested in an RSX. Aside from the fact that they are hideous, I would have roved the RSX boards for that information.

I'm not looking for a pocket-rocket either. I already have a 280hp rocket.

I'm doing my SVT research and if the vehicle ends up out of my range, then I'll be getting a "pain-jane" ZX3 anyhow.

OTTOMATIC

Established Member

Your A-plan question was answered.

No rebates or special financing on SVT vehicles.

Jackson Racing has already announced a supercharger for the
SVT Focus. I think the aftermarket for SVT is going to be fantastic.

As far as build quality. It will be better than your run of the mill Ford. But don't come in expecting Acura/VW/BMW type quality.

RykrosGT

Established Member
That's cool.

However, I'm no longer in the market for a new vehicle.
My Grand Prix was totalled a few weeks ago, so I got rid of it finally... though not in the way I had intended.

I instead purchased an '02 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V.

Quicker than the Focus, more power, same handling, better build, better looks, 4 doors (insurance), and costs less.

Thank you for the information though, you guys have been helpful.

Cheers!

-Eric

OTTOMATIC

Established Member
Quicker than the Focus
Only in a straight line...I think the SVT will be faster in a road course situation.

more power
The Sentra has more Torque. At the wheel, the SVT has more power. The sentra loses tons of HP thru the drivetrain.

same handling
Similar handling, not the same. Most of the magazines have said the sentra's handling thru the slalom is clumsy. SVT will have a better suspension.

better build
Don't think so.

better looks
That is pretty subjective...I think the SVT looks tons better

4 doors (insurance).
My ins. for SVT will be very affordable.

costs less.
I believe the costs are identical when you consider that the SVT's base price includes destiniation charges, side airbags and ABS brakes.

Last edited:

RykrosGT

Established Member
It's true that the SE-R's back end gets a bit skittish, and the SVT has a better wheelbase and better weight distribution. I won't argue that.

Engine-wise, the Sentra is 175hp, 180lbs. SVT Focus is 175-140.
At the wheel, the SE-R's are putting out anywhere between 140 and 150hp depending on the car. What does the Focus put out at the wheels? I don't know. How about the exhaust, too?
SVT has a tuned exhaust right? SE-R's is still restrictive, even though it's "sport tuned". Aftermarket cat back and CAI modifications so far have added some power back to the cars.

Focus needs a larger engine, guys. Don't be so conservative! =)

Sentra and SVT weigh in nearly the same.

As affordability is concerned, the SVT would have came in a cool $250/6 months more than the SE-R would have. For some people that's negligible. For college students like me, that 250 could have been used for something else.

I rechecked my facts, too, and the SVT is in fact less expensive when similarly equipped. Not by more than a few hundred, but still less expensive. The SE-R has ABS as an non-standard option (weird)
My bad.

Handling. I'm a bit disappointed that the Sentra rear is only Semi-Independent, and the SVT is full independent. Ah well.

Finally, as far as build quality is concerned... that might be subjective too, and kind of on an individual-car basis... but that vehicle has far better fit and finish than my Probe or Grand Prix had.

I like both cars, even though the Focus is kind of on the unconventional side and the Sentra's rear end leaves a little to be desired. Overall though, even though I had A-Plan, the Sentra had my sale. SVT guys still did a good job on the Zetec though, kudos to 'em! HP-wise, the Sentra's only got 5 on the Zetec, with a .5L displacement advantage,

I'd still like to see these two cars go head to head =)

captainoblivious

Slow Vehicles in Training
Established Member
The Spec V would have been much better if they kept the IRS and if Nissan would do something about the torque steer. Overall it's still a great underrated car. But for handling I would rather have the SVT Focus...

thepawn

Established Member
There is a jackson racing supercharger kit available for the focus...there is also a 351W V8 engine conversion available also.

Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread